Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Changing Anti-Freeze

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2005, 02:58 PM
HCF Member
Default Changing Anti-Freeze

Im planning on chaning my 94 ex anti freeze soon and i was wonder how do every change their?? and where do you dispose the old coolant. Also what coolant does everyone use? Im using Prestone 50/50. I need to all the thing i need to do when changing my coolant.

While im at it im also planning on cleaning/detail my engine. Anyone got any advice on how i should clean it and what i should cover up??

Old 04-03-2005, 12:56 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Changing Anti-Freeze

go pay to have Jiffy Lube or something do it, they have a machine that can change all the fluid, and flush the system to remove any scale or buildup. they will dispose of the anti-freeze for you, and do a better job of changing it than you can. if you get a kit to flush it yourself, you stand a chance of getting busted by the EPA. its something like a 10000 dollar fine. not worth the 30 bucks youd save.

Old 04-03-2005, 01:22 AM
HCF Member

to detail ur engine youre going to POWERWASH it...........just get some plastic wrap and make sure u cover up any wires or sensors and COVER THE SPARK PLUG DISTRIBUTOR CAP!!!!!!...........then go to the local self serve car wash and spray engine degreaser on ur motor and trans.......get it at pep boys for 3$>..............let it sit then powerwash the **** out of it, looks really good if done rite......COVER THE BATTERY TOO..............then maybe u wanna get fancy and paint ur valve cover?

Old 04-03-2005, 12:13 PM
HCF Member

if you get a kit to flush it yourself, you stand a chance of getting busted by the EPA
Why would i get busted for??

Old 04-03-2005, 12:47 PM
HCF Member

because if you flush it yourself, you cant catch all of the old coolant, and if you are seen flushing coolant out into the street or ground, then you can get in a lot of trouble. coolant is VERY bad for the enviroment. also, those DIY kits, dont do near as good of a job as a shop with the proper equiptment for it.

Old 08-05-2005, 06:55 PM

Well lets just pretend for a minute someone is interseted in learning about their car, so they want to flush the radiator.

Is there anything special you need to know about other than what the Honda manual says? Is there a special coolant people use?

I certainly respect your opinion, but I am trying to do all the thing I can so I can learn about my car and get some XP.

Old 08-05-2005, 07:03 PM
Cat Fuсker

Cahnging your coolant is a mess and it ain't good for neither you, nor the environment. It is very easy, but it's simply not worth it hence you're not really doing much. You really should consider taking it to a tech you trust and have him flush it

Old 08-05-2005, 07:13 PM
HCF Member

lets put it this way, ive been doing EVERYTHING on my car for over 5 years, ive changed the engines twice, converted all of the brakes to integra discs, installed polyurethane bushings, and a slough of other stuff, and if i go to change my coolant, im going to go pay 30-50 bucks for a shop to do it right.

Old 03-22-2011, 01:49 PM
HCF Member

bringing this thread back, because Im trying to find out what to do with used coolant. I dont have municipal sewage, and I have checked with autozone, the county dump, a couple radiator shops, etc. and nobody takes used coolant and I just keep getting directed in circles.

Anyone know specifically where I can bring it, even if they charge a nominal fee, I just want to be rid of it.

Old 04-03-2011, 04:59 PM
HCF Member

Take his advice. I've done it before and it's a pain in the @$$ but here goes.

Drain the old fluid into an oil pan or something and put all of it into an empty oil or antifreeze jug. Then add your bottle of rad fluid cleaner and top it up with water. Then turn your engine on and run it until it gets up to operating temp. The two hoses to the rad will get pressurized and smoking hot. Let it run 10 minutes. Then let your engine cool down so you don't burn your face when you take off the rad cap.

*****NOTE*****

Once you fill up the rad their is a definate possiblity you could air lock the engine if an air bubble is trapped so while you waiting the 10 minutes make sure you sit in the car and watch the temp guage.

Next empty the fluid into your oil pan or large bucket and store in a jug like the last stuff. Fill with water and then start your engine let it warm up then run 10 minutes then shut it off and let it cool like before. Then drain the system.

Repeat the previous step using only water again at least once if not twice.

At this point you've now sort of cleaned your system, and partially emptied the old fluid as there will always be a large portion trapped in the block and lines that you can't ever get to.

Now mix your prestone or other brand antifreeze. Normally you'd mix it 50 50 but since you're doing it yourself you'll want to mix it 60 40 with water as there is a large portion of plain unmixed water in your system.( maybe even 70 30 if you're in a really cold environment)

Now drain out the last of the watered down old antifreeze from the system storing it in a jug of your choice. Use a funnel and begin filling your rad. there will be a few airbubbles and it won't take an awful lot of fluid to fill as our rads are tiny. Once you think it's full get a friend to hold the funnel and fill it partially. While said friend is holding the full funnel so it doesn't spill squeeze the top and bottom hoses of your radiator. This will help squeeze air bubbles out of the system. In my case it took 2 sets of hands to squeeze the bottom rad tube as it's so long. Once you think it's full close up the rad. Empty your overflow by taking off the cap and pulling up on the tank. (it's in a tung and groove type slot so it'll pull out but may be a little stuck) Empty the tank into one of your many full containers and then rinse it out with some water. Refill it with a 50 50 mix solution to the line on the side and then hook it back up.

****NOTE****

Since antifreeze is sweet animals love it....but it will cause them to die. So if you have a pet and you don't put it into proper jugs, or you just drain it onto the street like some idiots there is potential to kill an awful lot of animals just because you're lazy.

Now start your car up and let it get up to operating temp. Now that your fluid is flowing air bubbles are very possible. Take it for a drive and watch the temp guage. If it begins to go over normal you have an air bubble in the block and you better hope it gets out. Once you get back let the rad cool and then top it up if it needs any fluid.

Or you take it to a shop and they connect one end to the machine and one to a bucket and they pump out ALL of the old fluid while replacing it with fresh fluid. This guarentees you a perfect mix and 100% replacement and you don't have to dispose of it. Not to mention you won't need to whole $15 jug of rad anti freeze to change your system, or the $5 bottle of rad flush, or spend 2 hours of your time...mostly waiting I might add.

Quick Reply: Changing Anti-Freeze