Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Clarification

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 10:51 PM
Default Clarification

I'm only after the deep, rich sound a car can produce. What do I need to buy? Before I read around these forums, I was under the idea that I only needed to buy an exhaust and replace it with an aftermarket one, but now I'm not so sure..

Old 05-06-2010, 02:55 AM
HCF Member

well simply you can just get a muffler which is the end part of the exhaust. That usually produce a sound that is not as nice as a catback system which is the whole system from the cat converter to tip of the exhaust. spend the money on a quality system and you will get a nice sounding exhaust or it will sound loud and raspy.

Old 05-06-2010, 05:42 AM
HCF Member

Ebay fart cannon is super cheap.......... it will be plenty raspy and very angry..........

What kind of sound are you going for? Fake performance sound? or Nicer than stock sound?

Old 05-06-2010, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by sfazngiants
well simply you can just get a muffler which is the end part of the exhaust. That usually produce a sound that is not as nice as a catback system which is the whole system from the cat converter to tip of the exhaust. spend the money on a quality system and you will get a nice sounding exhaust or it will sound loud and raspy.
Hmm.. any ideas on what I can get for a 98 Civic Ex? I don't have too much money at the moment, so I think I'll slowly get to it.. Any estimates on what a decent catback system would run me?

Originally Posted by NIKE H34D
Ebay fart cannon is super cheap.......... it will be plenty raspy and very angry..........

What kind of sound are you going for? Fake performance sound? or Nicer than stock sound?
I'm not too sure.. I don't want it to be too loud, so something nice than stock.

Old 05-06-2010, 06:06 AM
Super Cereal Admin

Look up "twin loop mufflers" on eBay. They're a little louder than stock, but a lot deeper. Basically, it's the best sounding muffler you can put on a honda IMO. Then take the muffler (and preferably a resonator) to an exhaust shop and have them fab up either a 2.25" or 2.5" cat-back exhaust. A 2.5" would be good if you planned on using a power adder (turbo/supercharger/nitrous) in the future. If you plan on sticking with bolt-ons, have them make a 2.25" cat-back.

Here's what a twin-loop looks like:

Old 05-06-2010, 02:32 PM

So I would just ask them to make a 2.25" or 2.5" cat-back exhaust? Could I go to like autozone and have them do it? How much would that cost? Also, with the resonator, would I go with the same size? And the muffler, is there like a size to it?

Sorry for all the questions. I really appreciate the help.

Old 05-06-2010, 07:19 PM

AutoZone doesn't make custom exhaust, it's a retail store not a shop. Don't buy a muffler there either unless it's a nice name brand... that stuff on the shelves in the store sucks. You need to go to a real exhaust shop. Buy the muffler in advance from somewhere else.

Old 05-07-2010, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by trustdestruction
AutoZone doesn't make custom exhaust, it's a retail store not a shop. Don't buy a muffler there either unless it's a nice name brand... that stuff on the shelves in the store sucks. You need to go to a real exhaust shop. Buy the muffler in advance from somewhere else.
Alright. Anyone know any good exhaust shops in Seattle? Also for the 2.5" cat-back.. is there anything specific to it? Or just the 2.5"?

Old 05-07-2010, 02:29 PM

get. 2.25", 2.5" is unnecessarily large

Old 05-07-2010, 03:25 PM

Okay I'll get 2.25", the muffler is what connects to the cat, right? If so, I would need to get a muffler with a 2.25" opening too, right?