Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Cold Air Noise Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 04:15 PM
HCF Member
Default Cold Air Noise Question

Hi all, I posted here last week for help on installing my CAI on my 96 Civic CX. I got it all done, but I have a question about a noise it's making. It's like a squeeling noise, and I don't know if it's supposed to make that noise or not. It's only when I hold the throtle at a certain point, if I step on it you don't hear the noise.

I'm not sure if it's supposed to be like that or not (it made the same noise when I only had the first pipe on and had it as a SRI) is it the filter sucking in air? And is there anyway I can get rid of the noise? (If it's the filter I'll buy a new one, the one that came with my CAI is from e-Bay so I'm sure there's better quality out there).

Thanks in advance.

Attached Thumbnails Cold Air Noise Question-003.jpg   Cold Air Noise Question-004.jpg  
Old 08-01-2008, 04:23 PM
HCF Member

I am sure its a normal noise. Its just air gushing in through the intake to the engine

Old 08-01-2008, 06:42 PM

Are you missing the fender splash guard? Or does your filter really hang out like that? If it already has rocks and stuff stuck to it, that's not a good sign...

Old 08-01-2008, 07:21 PM
HCF Member

Ya it does, I cut the splash gaurd to fit the filter. I was thinking of changing it back to just the first pipe, but what is that squeeling (even when I only had the first pipe it still made that noise) ?

Old 08-01-2008, 07:32 PM
HCF Member

I Have an AEM CAI And i think it is normal because whenever i LIGHTLY press the gas i hear a lil whistle sound too i think it is just the intake sucking air thought..... and i dont have a splash gaurd lol Ha f that thing it fell off a few months back i pulled over and threw it in a ditch

Old 08-01-2008, 07:36 PM
HCF Member

That sucks I don't like that whistle, but I like the sound it makes when I step on it/higher rpms lol. So as long as I clean the filter every month it should be fine right?

Old 08-01-2008, 08:23 PM

It might just be the cheap ebay filter that's making the noise. I haven't noticed any similar noise on mine, but I have four 10s bumping most of the time. I'd upgrade the filter to a K&N at some point in the near future.

Old 08-01-2008, 08:41 PM
HCF Member

its a normal noise like we said. Do a forum/google search and you will see people asking about this whistling noise. I heard a lot of people asking about this. Its quite common with intakes

Old 08-01-2008, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by JizzleCX
And is there anyway I can get rid of the noise?
lol. i love that sound, i wouldn't want to get rid of it. it sounds sick.
i think of it the same way as a blow-off valve sound. I love that sound and I wish I had turbo and a blow-off valve. That **** sounds awesome.

Old 08-02-2008, 11:57 AM
HCF Member

Trust you can always get a fake turbo!! lol

Quick Reply: Cold Air Noise Question