Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

And the confusion continues...

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2005, 09:28 PM
HCF Member
Default And the confusion continues...

Last night I posted another theory about my header and guess what? It was true. My car is faster at 1/2 - 3/4 throttle than at WOT. Wtf?? I reasoned it thusly... At WOT the ECU goes into closed loop and uses a stock, preset fuel map and doesn't send enough fuel to compensate for the added airflow of a header and cat-back?? Is this sounding crazy?

So my questions are... can I get a new fuel map for WOT? Am I just being **** about this? Is this something I need to go get "tuned" by a professional?

Shall I go back to my hole now??

Old 07-08-2005, 09:36 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: And the confusion continues...

For minor mods such as a header and a cat back you don't need an aftermarket ECU. Your stock ecu should relearn the new mods after you have reset the battery, and compensate for the extra fuel needed. Even with a CAI you dont need an after market ecu, but when you're upgrading to a turbo or a bigger cam, then a VFAC would be the best bet.

Old 07-08-2005, 09:38 PM

You can tune for more fuel at WOT with the VAFC but I would suggest a prof tun if you dont have wideband

Old 07-08-2005, 09:49 PM
HCF Member

I know it relearns after it's been reset but it only takes info from the o2 when it's in open loop and it's in closed loop at WOT. And when it referrs back to the preset fuel map it is configured for a stock set-up. There may be something else wrong, IDK. You sure oyu got a gain when you got your header on there, Fast93?

Old 07-08-2005, 10:21 PM
HCF Member

its possible its a lazy sensor, maybe O2? try resetting it again.[&:] and let it idle for awhile after you reset it. about 5 minutes.

Old 07-09-2005, 10:17 PM
HCF Member

Just reset the ecu again, and let car idle until normal operating range with out touching the gas or any thing else, then shut the car off, and use when ever needed. Trust me, you don't need to after-market ecu's for the mods that you're doing now. I got a header, a catback, bigger TB, skunk2 intake manifold, and a CAI all runnin on a stock ecu.

Old 07-09-2005, 10:29 PM

Reset the ECU and let the car idle for a little while.

Sorry, couldnt resist.

Old 07-10-2005, 09:09 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: fast93civic

For minor mods such as a header and a cat back you don't need an aftermarket ECU. Your stock ecu should relearn the new mods after you have reset the battery, and compensate for the extra fuel needed. Even with a CAI you dont need an after market ecu, but when you're upgrading to a turbo or a bigger cam, then a VFAC would be the best bet.
First off... The ECU shouldn't need to be "reset" at all. An exhaust system will not affect your air/fuel ratio so messing with the ECU wont do a thing. The only reason you would need to do that is in the small chance that something happens like Sacicons suggested, where a sensor is lagging.

As for the V-AFC, you wont be able to make changes to a stock ECU at WOT setting.

Also cams arent referred to as "bigger"... it's in the duration, overlap.

Old 07-10-2005, 03:28 PM
HCF Member

wow, excuse me for being wrong about every thing, but I think 99.9% of the people get the idea when some one says "a bigger cam" ok, and, from what I have heard from people, including various honda websites, resetting the ecu after uprading to a mod is highly recommended.

As far as the VAFC goes, I never said using it with a stock ecu is going to give you power, using it with a turbo will ok.

Old 07-10-2005, 05:04 PM

Gather round everyone.......I think this calls for a GROUP HUG!

Quick Reply: And the confusion continues...