Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

cut up my brand new exhaust ????????

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 06:05 PM
Banned
Exclamation cut up my brand new exhaust ????????

last summer i bought a 2"1/2 inch header back exhaust for my dx and this summer i wanna slam but there's a section that hangs way to low what are my options to eather replace the hole thing or what i was thinking was to have a shop cut and replace that section wither smaller tubeing thats got to be cheaper i dont care performance wise its a 2004 dx non vtec how much would that cost ???????

Last edited by lowlife9; 02-27-2009 at 08:52 PM.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:21 PM

first, i have a question... if you don't care about performance, why did you buy a header back exhaust instead of just a muffler?

take it to an exhaust shop and have them check it out. they should be able to bend/trim it/spin the flanges as needed to get it to fit right.

this just goes to show you though that you should buy name brand products for your car and not knock off crap or brands that sound like they're good but they're not

Old 02-20-2009, 10:44 PM
Banned

well first off i got the header for cheap and i figured why not better airflow nicer sound honestly i could have put the most expensive exhaust on and it would have made no difference in power gains. also have you ever been under a 04 dx there's barely any room even for the stock exhaust its basically flat no channel .its not about it not fitting rite it fits fine for its size its just to thick for a 3 inch drop.also its a tsudo exhaust its well made with good welding sorry i cant afford high end exhaust .

Old 02-21-2009, 07:40 AM
Super Cereal Admin

Originally Posted by lowlife9
also have you ever been under a 04 dx.
Have you ever been under another civic? There's no room under any of them.

And look over at the lowriders on Honda-Tech and pay attention to their comments about their cars. You have to read closely, it's subtle. Basically, if you want to actually slam your car (which can't really be done on 7th gens like it can 5th/6th gens btw) your exhaust is going to drag occasionally no matter what, and you're going to go through shocks like there's no tomorrow.

And btw, I'm speaking from experience on both points there; my old ej1 had 2.5" of ground clearance at the oil pan and ~4" at the frame.

Old 02-21-2009, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by lowlife9
honestly i could have put the most expensive exhaust on and it would have made no difference in power gains... its not about it not fitting rite it fits fine for its size its just to thick for a 3 inch drop
I wasn't talking about performance gains, I was talking about it fitting right. A nice, quality exhaust would have fit right. It would run parallel to the channel underneath the car where the exhaust goes. It's not that it's too thick for a 3 inch drop, it's that it doesn't fit right.

Proof that it's not too thick for a 3" drop:
Most aftermarket exhausts are in the neighborhood of 2.25" diameter piping. Those aren't too big to do a 3 inch drop, as long as the exhaust fits right. Your 3" piping is 3/4" thicker than the 2.25", but the difference in radius of the exhaust is only 3/8" and that's the amount it sticks out on all sides more than it does on the 2.25" exhaust.
Therefore, your exhaust, if it fit right, only would hang down 3/8" more towards the ground than a 2.25" exhaust.

Last edited by trustdestruction; 02-21-2009 at 12:15 PM.