Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

dual exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 06:23 PM
Default dual exhaust

I wanted to run a dual exhaust for my 01 Civic. By dual i mean one exhaust coming from the left end and another on the right end.

Do you guys suggest anything?

Old 03-08-2011, 07:25 PM
Super Cereal Admin

Buy two identical mufflers and call your favorite local exhaust shop. Spend five minutes debating with whomever answers the phone over whether or not dual exhaust is possible on a civic. Arrange an appointment, drop the car off, pick up the car in a few hours.

At least that's what I did (in my defense, I was 16).

I wouldn't recommend duals on a civic though... I'd assume there's a body kit involved, but what happens should you decide to remove the body kit? I assure you it's not pretty.

dualexhaust5.jpg?t=1299644640

Also, if you're like me, you'll have to spend a lot of time cutting through thick exhaust pipe (exhaust shops don't mess around) should you choose to remove the duals later down the road.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:24 PM
HCF Member

this thread is already hilarious!

Old 03-09-2011, 12:38 PM

I do have a body kit on my Civic. Lol, you have some good points but down the road i wouldnt be thinking about taking off the body kit or exhaust cause it's an old car anyway... if you want I can show u a pic of my car so you can tell me what you think.

Old 03-09-2011, 01:58 PM

Have fun and post up! I can imagine that 90% of the forum members will tell you to start looking for OEM bumpers etc. once you post pics though.

However, it is ultimately what you like best as it is your vehicle.

If you prefer the look of OEM bumpers but do not want to invest in them, I am sure you can post up on Craigslist asking to trade for OEM bumpers and some kid will jump on that.

Old 03-09-2011, 02:58 PM
Super Cereal Admin

Modified my old kit (close to 75 hours' worth of work) and traded it for a set of OEM bumpers (actually a spare set since I still had my old bumpers) and $100. Best trade I ever made... got an OEM front lip out of the deal too

And I'd just like to point out that I had a body kit for less than a year before I got tired of it and swapped back to stock. Stock body + massive drop > close-to-stock height + body kit.

Old 03-29-2011, 06:38 AM

im planning on putting dual exhaust on my car its a 2001 ex civic and im just trying to get some general information like how will it affect the engine, and how will it sound with glass packs.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:40 AM
HCF Member

it will sound ****ing ****ty. dual exhaust on a 4 cylinder is stupid.

and before anyone says it, yes, I know the s2000 has dual exhaust. but if you get on any s2000 forum you will notice many of them change it out for a single exhaust and get a "bumper cap" to fill the empty space where their worthless other exhaust pipe used to be.

IMO its stupid and "ricey" to put dual exhaust on a civic because it doesn't actually give you any advantages. Its only worth while on a v-8 where each exhaust manifold has its own pipe. But like I said, thats just my opinion...

Old 03-29-2011, 01:31 PM
Super Cereal Admin

Even V-configuration engines could easily use single exhausts via a y-pipe; most V6 and V8 exhausts have an intermediate pipe, whether an X-pipe, H-pipe, or resonated 2-in/2-out muffler, that mixes exhaust gas from either bank anyway.

And contrary to popular belief, dual exhaust on a civic will actually make the exhaust quieter as each muffler will have half as much flow. I still wouldn't recommend it as it's a useless modification with absolutely no power benefit and just looks out of place on an economy car.

Old 03-29-2011, 05:35 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by reaper2022
Even V-configuration engines could easily use single exhausts via a y-pipe; most V6 and V8 exhausts have an intermediate pipe, whether an X-pipe, H-pipe, or resonated 2-in/2-out muffler, that mixes exhaust gas from either bank anyway.

And contrary to popular belief, dual exhaust on a civic will actually make the exhaust quieter as each muffler will have half as much flow. I still wouldn't recommend it as it's a useless modification with absolutely no power benefit and just looks out of place on an economy car.
I was referring to the use of glass packs making the civic sound ****ty. but otherwise, yes, they look out of place and "ricey" (since its a "power" mod that actually adds no power whatsoever)

Quick Reply: dual exhaust