Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

EX Conversion~!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 09:40 PM

hamorhead lives in FL, near where I live. In FL they are really laid back and we do not have required emissions testing. As a result, cops do not really care that much either, because no one is pushing them to care. They rarely ever attempt to see if someone has a cat or not.

You will not pass emissions testing in the USA without a cat unless it's a shady shop that will sign your forms or whatever it is they give you as long as you pay them some extra money (basically a bribe).

CA is the worst state in the USA for emissions testing and you will fail the test.

Old 09-12-2009, 10:16 PM
HCF Member

oh my god, well what if i purchased a EX cat straight from the manufactuer (Honda) even though my car is DX, and then buy a DC Header? Would that still be illegal/fail emissions?

Old 09-12-2009, 10:20 PM

That would be legal and will work. It would be less expensive to find someone with a used cat if you can though. Just be sure to keep it on the "down-low" because it's illegal to buy a used cat from someone (mainly because it's technically illegal to remove a functioning cat from a vehicle). But these are things that no one would know if you did, so just don't get caught in the act and no one will ever know.

Old 09-12-2009, 11:32 PM
HCF Member

yeah, great thanks trust i'll look into getting one off craigslist if not where should i look for one?

Old 09-13-2009, 06:28 AM
HCF Member
Old 09-13-2009, 08:20 AM
Super Cereal Admin

Originally Posted by trustdestruction
You will not pass emissions testing in the USA without a cat unless it's a shady shop that will sign your forms or whatever it is they give you as long as you pay them some extra money (basically a bribe).

CA is the worst state in the USA for emissions testing and you will fail the test.
Umm.. stu? His question was if he'd pass emissions with a 49-state legal cat. And the answer to that would probably be yes.

Old 09-13-2009, 10:17 AM

Oh. Maybe, maybe not. Depends whether or not they notice it's aftermarket or not. It looks stock, but someone who knows about that stuff might notice. If they notice, you won't pass because it's not CARB approved. Chances are they won't notice though.

Old 09-13-2009, 11:40 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by kanarrjl
So is that a weld on/or bolt on? And are you 100% sure it will fit my 99civic dx->ex?

btw that cat is for a audi car

Last edited by JayVee; 09-13-2009 at 11:44 AM.
Old 09-13-2009, 01:25 PM

Yea that's not the kind you need, you're right it's for an Audi. In the pics it has no flanges but in the description it says it has stock Audi flanges.

If I were you I would just get this and not tell the emissions testing shop that you replaced it. They will probably never notice. It will pass the test on the sniffer though. The only test it can fail is the visual inspection (because it doesn't have a CARB sticker or stamp) but they won't notice anyway that it's aftermarket because it looks so stock.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MPE-22628/

Old 09-13-2009, 02:28 PM
HCF Member

^that one won't pass. I posted the right one, it says universal, but even if it has flanges cut them off and weld it on. in order to pass emissions in california you have to have california legal stuff. Thats why they make 2 kinds, if normal stuff could pass cali emissions then why make 2 different parts. That would be just the same as putting on a megan header instead of a dc sports header. Really the cat is the part of the exhaust that effects the emmissions the most

Quick Reply: EX Conversion~!