Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

exhaust manifold crack

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 12:23 AM
Default exhaust manifold crack

guys, i'd appreciate your inputs on this. i have a 97 LX civic 4dr sedan.

last week, the o2 sensor conked out and while the mechanic was changing it, he said the exhaust manifold was cracked, so i had to get that changed too. i'm in ca, and they claim the exhaust manifold is very expensive since the catalytic converter is attached to it. here's the url to the cracked manifold, i'm assuming the cylinder behind the o2 sensor opening is the catalytic converter ?

http://www.pbase.com/ace/image/66257251/original

are these cracks common for the 97 LX ?

is there a way to verify if the guy didn't crack the manifold while removing the sensor ? he showed me the heat shield, which had a black spot on the inside, showing that the crack was there before, but he could have spray painted the heat shield. i'm kicking myself a bit that i didn't do this on my own. i do standard stuff like oil changes, plugs, rotors etc.

what tools would i need to do this on my own ? thanks for the input, guys

Old 09-04-2006, 04:53 AM
Default RE: exhaust manifold crack

perfect opp. to upgrade to a header and squeeze a little more power out of your engine.. otherwise hit up a junkyard for another.. i just sold mine for i think 50 bucks not too long ago..all you need is a basic set of wrenches/sockets to replace and a new gasket...

Old 09-04-2006, 11:34 AM

can u direct me to a tutorial on replacing it ? it needs to be properly sealed too, right ? so in addition to the gaskets, it needs some sealant ?

what exactly is a header ? will it pass CA emissions ?

Old 09-04-2006, 12:47 PM

in my avatar pic.. those 4 pipes coming off front of engine are the header.. you would need to buy an aftermarket cat then also to connect to the end of it but unless you get a direct bolt up it would require some welding/cutting.. and some of them are CARB approved.. mine are .. DC Sports.. and most likely there is info on replacing in haynes/chilton manual you get from ur local auto store

Old 09-04-2006, 03:34 PM
HCF Member

a header is a short way to refer to an exhaust manifold. its like saying 'sway bar' instead of 'lower tie bar'...its just shorter.

usually, OE headers cost more than aftermarket headers.

replacing is straight foreward. pull the old one off, replace the gasket (usually aftermarket headers are shipped with new ones), and put the new one on. like mental disorder said, you'd need to buy an aftermarket cat, but a CARB exempt one like Megan will only run you about 60 bucks...or you could just pull a stock one off of an EX.

edit: actually now that i think about it...its hard to come by headers that are made for LX's, DX's, CX's...etc. you would have to do a whole EX exhaust conversion...which means you need an EX header, a cat, an EX exhaust, and an O2 simulator. if you get quality parts, not only will it be carb exempt, but it will give you increased MPG's and power, along with costing about the same as an OEM header.

Old 09-04-2006, 09:51 PM

sound like your looking for an up gade but....when i bought my 96 a couple of years ago my had the same problem and honda replaced for free under the recall on all the lx headers...even a com tune up, plugs, wires, distrb.....free free free

Old 09-08-2006, 07:15 PM

thanks for the inputs guys. can you help me with some more questions:

1. how does a header boost the engine ? does it have lower back-pressure ?
2. what is carb-exempt ? does being in california affect all this ?
3. do i ask a local dealer about the honda recall ? does it apply for 97 lx models ?

Old 09-08-2006, 07:26 PM
HCF Member

That can be easily fixed with a welder and some low-nickel welding rod.

Old 09-08-2006, 10:07 PM

1. A "header" does not boost and engine, a turbo does, however on a NA car, it helps exhaust exit better and faster
2. carb exempt=pass emissions, your in cali so you have one of the strictest emissions out there so this is good for you
3. Yes, a honda dealership can give you a list of recalls on your ride

Old 09-11-2006, 10:12 PM

Ok, my buddy has a 2000 civic, I think its the cheapest model, like VP or something, don't really know. Anyways he is having the same problems and I have a few questions that were not already asked. How much horsepower is he losing due to this? He has had it and known about it for some time now, and hasn't had the funds to take care of it, is this hurting his engine? How much does a good header cost compared to a standard exhaust manifold? And lastly how much Horsepower difference will there be if he goes ahead and gets the header? thanks.

Quick Reply: exhaust manifold crack