Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

exhaust manifold crack

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 02:20 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: exhaust manifold crack

my g/f's 96 ex has a cracked manifold... they just do that over time. upgrade ****!

Old 09-18-2006, 10:37 AM

Ok, but that still doesn't answer any of my questions... does it hurt his enging? how much HP loss is he having? And how much HP difference will there be between a header and another exhaust manifold?

Old 09-18-2006, 10:58 AM
HCF Member

i doubt it hurts his engine. maybe a few horsepower, but nothing drastic. upgraded header adds like 1-2 hp but more torque.

Old 09-19-2006, 08:58 AM

alright thanks

Old 09-19-2006, 10:39 AM
HCF Member

save your money.
small drill bit and then j-b weld.
bout 4 bucks

Old 09-19-2006, 04:19 PM
HCF Member

my 96 has a cracked exhaust manifold and i have a dc header already shipping. And it can do some damage, but not really to the engine itself(someone correct me if I'm wrong). There are some wires near there and exhaust gases coming from the engine approach about 500 degrees. The leaking hot air can do some damage to wires and stuff, but nothing serious to the hardware. Ive been driving mine for about 3 weeks now damaged (had to wait till i got the cash), and the insulation all around one of the wires has almost melted completely off.

Old 09-19-2006, 05:25 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Nail I3unny

a header is a short way to refer to an exhaust manifold. its like saying 'sway bar' instead of 'lower tie bar'...its just shorter.

usually, OE headers cost more than aftermarket headers.

replacing is straight foreward. pull the old one off, replace the gasket (usually aftermarket headers are shipped with new ones), and put the new one on. like mental disorder said, you'd need to buy an aftermarket cat, but a CARB exempt one like Megan will only run you about 60 bucks...or you could just pull a stock one off of an EX.

edit: actually now that i think about it...its hard to come by headers that are made for LX's, DX's, CX's...etc. you would have to do a whole EX exhaust conversion...which means you need an EX header, a cat, an EX exhaust, and an O2 simulator. if you get quality parts, not only will it be carb exempt, but it will give you increased MPG's and power, along with costing about the same as an OEM header.

Nail, nobody makes a header for a DX,LX motor. He will have to have on installed in the test pipe of the car. Its a $100 part and a $70 job. Your o2 sensor didnt go out i promise you. Its because the header is cracked. It happened to mine. Its a common problem.

Old 09-19-2006, 05:27 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: mybrokenblinker

my 96 has a cracked exhaust manifold and i have a dc header already shipping. And it can do some damage, but not really to the engine itself(someone correct me if I'm wrong). There are some wires near there and exhaust gases coming from the engine approach about 500 degrees. The leaking hot air can do some damage to wires and stuff, but nothing serious to the hardware. Ive been driving mine for about 3 weeks now damaged (had to wait till i got the cash), and the insulation all around one of the wires has almost melted completely off.

i drove 2 years with a bad header and it didnt do crap

Old 09-22-2006, 03:08 AM

4door was right. Honda has an extended warranty on exhaust problems such as a cracked header. they call it OBD2 extended warranty and it is for 14 years/150k miles. so all of my expenses would have been covered if i hadn't been such a dumbass in a hurry and went to a stupid mechanic shop to put in a used header. next time i'm going to check with u guys first. honda is reimbursing the o2 sensor and they also offered the free service that 4door talked about .. cap rotor wires oil change etc.

thanks for the tip 4door. i wish i had asked earlier

Old 09-22-2006, 06:27 AM
HCF Member

well, mine was completely cracked in half, the hot air from the engine was melting the insulation for the o2 sensor wires