Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Exhaust q's. Installation, other stuff.

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 06:18 AM
Default Exhaust q's. Installation, other stuff.

ok so I ordered my exhaust and it should be here tomorrow. I need to find a place that will install it, even though I already bought it. Is there a well known place that does this, Midas, Tires Plus, this sort of thing that is probably everywhere? THanks. My work may do it, but just in case. Thanks! also, how hard is it to do? like just take off the old exhaust, bolt on the new one? if I could get easy access under the car I could probably do it right?

Old 06-29-2008, 07:18 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Exhaust q's. Installation, other stuff.

What exhaust did you get?
It's not really that hard. I wouldn't pay some shop to do it, that's just a waste of money. All it is is basically jacking up a car andunscrewing bolts.

Old 06-29-2008, 10:46 AM
HCF Member

Take a look at the DIY link in my sig. It's not that hard if you're handy with tools and have the equipment. If you don't have the equipment, call a local muffler shop and remember, the smaller the shop, the smaller their overhead (if in the same area of town as a larger shop), and the smaller the installation fee.

Old 06-29-2008, 11:21 AM
Recognized HCF Member

well if ya got some WD-40 or penetrating oil a jack and a jack stand and some basic tools you can do it yourself no big problem....

just spray all the bolts a day before the instal to kinda free them up alittle..... and when ya do the job spray the rubber hangers with the wd40 or what not to make the rubber hangers slide right off....

Old 06-29-2008, 12:40 PM
HCF Member

yeah its easy, do it yourself if your work wont.

Old 06-30-2008, 06:57 AM

alright cool, I will do in myself. I just have to buy jackstands I suppose, which would still be cheaper than paying a shot to install. Cool thanks alot you guys!
oh one more thing, where should I get jackstands? I saw them at walmart, but before I go and buythem I want your opinions. thanks

Old 06-30-2008, 10:55 AM
HCF Member

Have you done this before? If not, make sure you ask someone who has to help you out. You wouldn't believe how many people get killed or seriously injured when their vehicle collapses on them because of an incorrectly placed jack stand or some flimsy substitute for a jackstand.

The Walmart jackstands will work just fine but the location is critical. You should be able to see how I did it in my DIY procedure. A large (19-inch height capacity hydraulic floor jack is a must-have, especially if you need to work on the back end of the car. I sometimes also use a pair of Rhino ramps to support the front end. Walmart has another brand that is similar (light, plastic ones).

Old 06-30-2008, 11:39 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: Exhaust q'

one safety thing you can do thats really easy.... throw your wheels if ya remove them under the car, thats what ive been doing alot. sometimes its just a quick thing under the car so i just jack it up, throw the wheel under there, do what i gotta do and get out...

just dont cheap out to much on a jack stand!
i bought some from autozone before used them to hold my S10trucks rear up and the one jack stand twisted and just about wanted to fly out! the little cross braces where just spot welded on the jack stand! no way it would hold any weight before snaping off! i busted out the welder and welded every brace on those crappy things!!!!!
if you have a HARBOR FRIEGHTs in your area go there they have nice jack stands dirt cheap... like 15-20bucks for a pair of small jack stands which is really what you need for a civic...

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=38846
they also got some heavier ones as well.
http://search.harborfreight.com/cpis...&Submit=Go

they are made really good. half it not more cheaper than most autostores.
ive had mine for years now and never had a problem at all with them bending/flexing anything... constructed very nice! nice and cheap.... just like a mans dream women