Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

exhaust question..

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2004, 11:59 AM
Default exhaust question..

hey everybody.. i was curious as to what the difference is between say a catback exhaust and just welding a damn plate to the end of your pipe with a hole and making a homemade restrictor. i realize the catback looks a hellva lot better and sounds better, but what's the performance differences? thanks for the time.

peace
nate

Old 07-22-2004, 03:11 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: exhaust question..

the exhaust system is made to create back pressure (hard to explain, but you need some), damper the sound, and clean some of the harmful gases that come out of you engine. A plate with a hole in it won't, plus its ricey and illegal.

Old 07-22-2004, 04:57 PM
HCF Member

You dont need ANY backpressure. backpressure slows gases as they are coming out of the head, hurting your power production. the reason this myth came about is because people would take off the stock exhaust and bolt in a custom made 4 inch sewer pipe exhaust and it would kill the power, as does gutting a catalytic convertor. so everyone assumes that it is from too little backpressure, when really it is from too little exhaust velocity , the faster the exhaust moves away from the head, the more suction it creates behind it. think of a plastic bag, caught in the bed of a truck. it keeps getting sucked back in behind it because of the vacuum the truck is creating. if you put a certain amount of moving substance(in this case, exhaust gas) into a smaller area it will speed up, making more suction behind it and this scavenging effect helps remove more of the exhaust gases from the cylinder, leaving more room for fresh, unburnt air and fuel. if you are thinking of gutting your cat, dont. this larger diameter pipe in the exhaust system will create a stalled area of exhaust flow, slowing it down and hurting your power. if you must run without a cat, get a race pipe that is roughly the same size as the rest of the exhaust system. BTW, disregard everything I just said if it is on a turbo application. With turbo you want the most freely flowing exhaust you can get. so all you turbo'd people, go for that 4 inch sewer pipe!

Old 07-22-2004, 09:48 PM

ORIGINAL: sacicons

You dont need ANY backpressure. backpressure slows gases as they are coming out of the head, hurting your power production. the reason this myth came about is because people would take off the stock exhaust and bolt in a custom made 4 inch sewer pipe exhaust and it would kill the power, as does gutting a catalytic convertor. so everyone assumes that it is from too little backpressure, when really it is from too little exhaust velocity , the faster the exhaust moves away from the head, the more suction it creates behind it. think of a plastic bag, caught in the bed of a truck. it keeps getting sucked back in behind it because of the vacuum the truck is creating. if you put a certain amount of moving substance(in this case, exhaust gas) into a smaller area it will speed up, making more suction behind it and this scavenging effect helps remove more of the exhaust gases from the cylinder, leaving more room for fresh, unburnt air and fuel. if you are thinking of gutting your cat, dont. this larger diameter pipe in the exhaust system will create a stalled area of exhaust flow, slowing it down and hurting your power. if you must run without a cat, get a race pipe that is roughly the same size as the rest of the exhaust system. BTW, disregard everything I just said if it is on a turbo application. With turbo you want the most freely flowing exhaust you can get. so all you turbo'd people, go for that 4 inch sewer pipe!
weve actually dynoed a 97 civic ex with the factory exh it produced 107hp and 93ftlbs tq. the the header disconnected from the rest it dynoed in at 113hp and 90ft lbs tq. according to the dyno, no backpressure will give you a gain in high rpm power but a loss in tq. its a win lose situation whatever way you go. but gearing can always make up for it no matter what you do. although a properly designed stepped header will make up for the loss in tq.

Old 07-23-2004, 03:09 AM
NTX
HCF Member

Want power? Short, straight pipe (like top fuel).

Old 07-23-2004, 06:20 PM
HCF Member

the torque loss is from loss of velocity. that is the same reason that a longer stroke will give you more low end power, the piston has to move faster to make the revolution in the same amount of time at X rpm, speeding up the exiting gases, read exhaust velocity. the higher horsepower shows that the uncorked motor makes more power when it is allowed to breath. a properly designed exhaust system will give you similar gains in the top end W/O the torque loss. i believe you, but for my own records, can you post the dynos? im interested to see them.
If anyone says you need backpressure, ask them why. then ask them why top fuel racers only use headers. no backpressure there.

Old 07-23-2004, 09:01 PM

ORIGINAL: sacicons

the torque loss is from loss of velocity. that is the same reason that a longer stroke will give you more low end power, the piston has to move faster to make the revolution in the same amount of time at X rpm, speeding up the exiting gases, read exhaust velocity. the higher horsepower shows that the uncorked motor makes more power when it is allowed to breath. a properly designed exhaust system will give you similar gains in the top end W/O the torque loss. i believe you, but for my own records, can you post the dynos? im interested to see them.
If anyone says you need backpressure, ask them why. then ask them why top fuel racers only use headers. no backpressure there.
top fuel racers want to extract max hp... but also the blower compensates for the loss of tq associated with lack of back pressure.....also with any type of forced induction a larger header/manifold will yeild better gains anyways as compared to something smaller in most instances. my argument was based towards everyday driving not so much extraction of maximum hp. as far as the dynos ill see if i can dig them up, its been close to 6 months since weve done this.

Old 07-23-2004, 09:02 PM

errr we need to archive this