Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

header and cat converter help

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 05:30 AM
Default RE: header and cat converter help

Mine doesnt smell or smoke...

Old 05-25-2008, 05:58 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: ATL96LX

and mine does.

Old 05-25-2008, 07:02 AM
HCF Member

i seen a obx high flow cat converter on ebay its was $125.00 plus $20.00 shipping would this be a good cat converter to go with

Old 05-25-2008, 08:19 AM

ORIGINAL: FlipHKD720
yes, it apparently smells worse, and the smoke is whiter. Overall no cat (in my opinion) is just worse overall. The minimal gains (1-2 hp) is not worth the bad smell, bad looking exhaust, and raspier tone.
not to mention how much more you destroy the world by running catless.

and mine does.
When I ran catless for like a couple months mine did too.

Anyway, don't listen to the guy who said to get an ebay header. When you buy one you are taking a chance. It will probably crack, or not even fit correctly, and if you get extremely lucky you won't have problems. But you can buy a Megan Racing header on eBay for like $150 which is pretty good. I have one and i've been using it for like a year at least.

When you take off the stock exhaust manifold/header, don't take the 2-piece joint apart if yours has one. It's a bitch and I didn't realize I didn't need to take it apart until afterwards.

P.S. if you get a 2 piece header put it together outside of the car and put the header in from underneath the car, and then bolt the flange to the head. Do this with the o2 sensor too, that way you can use an open end wrench (there's not really enough room in the engine bay to use an open end wrench) instead of having to go rent the special socket from the auto parts store. Take it off the old manifold after you take it out of the car, then install it in the header before you install the header. Make sure you put locktite on the 2 piece joint bolts and tighten them down hella tight. I didn't and I blew the joint gasket and my bolts came like completely loose.

For the catalytic converter, i'd buy a direct fit magnaflow catalytic converter.
Link^^^

I have one and it's great.

Old 05-25-2008, 08:38 AM

ORIGINAL: trustdestruction

yes, it apparently smells worse, and the smoke is whiter. Overall no cat (in my opinion) is just worse overall. The minimal gains (1-2 hp) is not worth the bad smell, bad looking exhaust, and raspier tone.

and mine does.

Anyway, don't listen to the guy who said to get an ebay header. When you buy one you are taking a chance. It will probably crack, or not even fit correctly, and if you get extremely lucky you won't have problems. But you can buy a Megan Racing header on eBay for like $150 which is pretty good. I have one and i've been using it for like a year at least.

Well i guess im incredibly lucky....ill call ya in a year and let u know if its cracked or not...and seeing as my factory manifold had a HUGE crack in it andthe factory replacement piece was a few hundreddollars the ebay headerwas a goodchoice for ME...

Old 05-25-2008, 09:15 AM

ORIGINAL: trustdestruction

and mine does.

Well i guess im incredibly lucky....ill call ya in a year and let u know if its cracked or not...and seeing as my factory manifold had a HUGE crack in it and the factory replacement piece was a few hundred dollars the ebay header was a good choice for ME...
Well it depends. Did you buy a generic no-name eBay header? Or an inexpensive brand that was on eBay?
If you bought the generic one, you did get incredibly lucky.
I'm not saying it will crack, i'm saying it probably will crack.

People will back me on this, by buying eBay no-name headers you are taking a risk of paying money then having the header crack and you're down the drain that much money.

P.S. you could have gone to the junkyard and got a used exhaust manifold for real cheap, or bought the Megan Racing one.

The reason the no-name parts are so cheap is because the people making them do not do design research.
Buying eBay no-name performance parts is like spending that same amount of money on lottery tickets.

Old 05-25-2008, 04:05 PM
HCF Member

is jvt racing header a good header 2 go with

Old 05-25-2008, 07:12 PM
HCF Member

i've got an eBay header and consider myself VERY lucky it hasn't cracked yet. Seriously, its been like 2 years, i don't understand it lol the fitment of it was super bad though, and just overall there are things that were noticably low quality. Megan is your best bet. Seriously. Spend the extra $50 to save you quite a bit of headache.

and whoever said $125 + shipping for an OBX high flow cat, no, don't do it. Not only are the previously mentioned 1 - 2 extra horsepower worth the money, but thats ridiculously overpriced in the first place. Randoms Technology or Magnaflow are both higher quality than OBX and i don't think either cost that much.

Old 05-25-2008, 09:52 PM
HCF Member

thanks, yall been a big help i didnt want 2 waste my money on any ****ty header and cat converter