Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

magnaflow converter and hi flow converter

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 05:16 PM
HCF Member
Default magnaflow converter and hi flow converter

Hello I have been searching ebay for a magnaflow converter thats hi flow and either Im just plain stupid lmao or Im missing something here. Does magnaflow make regular and hi flow cats?? Ive been reading the stickys and threads and dont see any drawbacks to a hi flow cat......so why make a regular non hi flow cat?........is an autozone universal converter the same dam thing? Or is the hi flow cat just a bigger cat hence more flow. Which would mean more media makes it more expensive???

Old 02-24-2008, 11:10 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: magnaflow converter and hi flow converter

I'm a magnaflow fan for yrs... Yes magnaflow makes a high flow and a OEM specs catalytic converters..
The high-flow catinside of it where the comb is....the holes are a little bigger so more air flow can pass through

The regular cat it's just like OEM Specs...The only difference that magnaflow will have way less platinum compare to OEM from factory

What yr and model is your car...What state do you live in

Old 02-24-2008, 11:53 PM
HCF Member

if you're in Cali, you need to get the Cali legal Magnaflow cat. On their site they let you pick between 49 states and the Cali one. And if the high-flow is that much more expensive than the regular (havent checked prices), just get the regular OEM one, whatever. The gains really aren't worth the extra money, idk, thats just me though (read the Truth About Catalytic Converters sticky at the top of the I/H/E section)

Old 02-25-2008, 10:20 AM
HCF Member

I live in canton ohio where there are absolutely NO smog checks. I would like to get a good set of headers(primary goal is ones that will last) the best cat, and I have already replaced the muffler with stock one. So Im contemplating which will benifit me the most. I have a 95 civic lx 4 door 1.5L 16 valve automatic. Taking off from a stop sign seems snail pace. 149,000 on it right now. My goal was to do passive hp gains like exhaust, maybe a cai but the cai they sold at summit racing didnt look like it would do crap. And Im not gonna buy the cai that will sit too low to the ground so I can suck up water. I hate the fart sound created by coffee can mufflers, and I wasnt sure if I would even be satisfied with the higher noise level with turbo or monza mufflers so I went with advanced auto stock bolt on by walker. Im not sure if the hi flow cat would give me any gains at all with a stock muffler. Ive been reading the stickys on pipe size, flow, too big a pipe and so on. I know the headers and cat should help, even if I go with a direct fit cat, it should flow better as mine has 149k on it.

Old 02-25-2008, 05:49 PM
HCF Member

If your cat is fine it will flow the same as new one...You don't wonteven feel the difference between a cat that meets OEM specs VS a High flow..It's your call bro