Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Header-Ceramic?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 07:26 PM
HCF Member
Default Header-Ceramic?

I am looking into a DC Header. (4-2-1) And I have seen stainless steel and ceramic. Which is best? Is ceramic a better heat conductor? Can you explain the use of cermaic for this part to a newbie learning the ropes. Also, will a header rust at the flanges?
And why doesn't GReddy make a header for my ride...? BOO!
Thank you.

Old 05-02-2007, 07:38 PM
Snail'n Admin
Default RE: Header-Ceramic?

Well from what i understand, stainless are better for handling the heat. For instance, if you are running with a boosted civic, the exhaust temperature is running hotter. For most N/A civics, ceramic is fine and will handle the heat just fine. A header shouldnt rust at the flanges unless its cheap and water is present a lot. What car do you have? I would think GReddy would have a header for you. P.S. correct me if I am wrong thanks

Old 05-02-2007, 07:42 PM
Super Cereal Admin

Ceramic-coated (which is what DC headers are) headers simply "hold in" more heat.It's basicallythe same concept as wrapping headers. I don't really think it'll make much of a difference on the streets. Also, ceramic headers don't lose their finish as fast astheir steel counterparts do.
Almost all headers develop rust over their entire surfaces, so yes, they will rust at the flanges. Luckily, it's just surface rust and can be cleaned off with steel wool, fine-grit sandpaper, what have you. If you're that worried about rust, you could consider wrapping the header and using sealant. Just be careful, because header wrap almost always voids any warranties on a header.
And just for the record, the headers made byHedmen Hedders and Megan Racing are the same quality as DC and half the price (though Megan Racing headers aren't emissions-legal in Cali). Also, I'm not really sure why Greddy doesn't make a header for your car. Maybe they just got lazy

Old 05-02-2007, 07:45 PM
HCF Member

I am running an 03 Civic EX. I think GReddy does a header up to 01. I could very well be wrong. I LOVE my GReddy exhaust and would love to use more of their parts.

Thanks for the reply, GReddy!

Old 05-02-2007, 07:46 PM
Super Cereal Admin

I just checked Greddy's site... they only make headers for 92-00 civics.

Old 05-02-2007, 07:51 PM
HCF Member

On second thought, I am in Arizona with temps reaching 120 in the hottest time of the year. Do you think cermaic might be a better choice for me driving in this dry heat? Does climate matter at all?

Sounds like y'all are big fans of Megan. Is that what you would suggest?

Thanks!

Old 05-02-2007, 07:53 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: reaper2022

I just checked Greddy's site... they only make headers for 92-00 civics.
Reap! Those are fine looking wheels! Are they Motegis? Axis?

Old 05-03-2007, 12:44 AM
HCF Member

I think DC header's come in stainless aswell as ceramic.

Old 05-03-2007, 07:12 AM
HCF Member

yes dc comes in stainless and ceramic, but ceramic is like 100 cheaper and there is NO noticable difference in performance.

Old 05-03-2007, 10:36 AM
Super Cereal Admin

like I said, I ceramic vs. stainelss won't make a difference under normal driving conditions.

Motor- thanks for the compliments.. they're 17" Flik Bullets

Quick Reply: Header-Ceramic?