Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

help plz?...

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 01:02 AM
HCF Member
Default help plz?...

my friend is runnin my old engine the d17a2..i forgot the code but its the 02 ex 5speed engine, now he just baught the AEM V2 intake, now i hear ppl sayin that u should disconnect the negative cable on the battery to "reset" the ECU, but we didnt we let it idle for like 8 min then we went driving for like 2 hrs...will that have a bad impact on his engine?..and the maint req'd light is on...well it has been before but it think it was cuz of his old R-active short ram intake not sure, but anyway should we disconnect the negative cable on the battery for like 30 min so the ECU can reset its self to give the propper air/fuel ratio and so it can re-learn its idle?...plz help

Old 05-16-2008, 05:09 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: help plz?...

unbelievable, so many "Experts" on this site and yet no one can answer this question...come on ppl...plz let me know

Old 05-16-2008, 07:31 PM
HCF Member

It doesn't matter. The ECU would make adjustments on its own over a course of only a few days of driving.

dave

Old 05-17-2008, 05:02 PM
HCF Member

oh ok...btw is the AEM V2 Dry Flow a CAI?...or is it a shortram? because my V2 dont go down like yours does, it stays right next to the battery

Old 05-17-2008, 10:11 PM
HCF Member

AEM has this in their website:

We have found that inlet length plays a vital role in the power production of V2 systems and not all V2 induction systems relocate the filter outside of the engine compartment. In these cases, we performed extensive temperature testing to locate the filter in the coolest area of the engine compartment to achieve the lowest inlet temperatures possible. Please refer to our temperature testing procedures for more information.
I'm guessing that with some types of vehicles, getting the filter either into the airstream or very near it is not physically possible. Therefore, AEM had to find the coolest area in the engine bay to position the filter. The shorter V2s do look like a shortram but really, a true CAI is one that allows air that is colder than engine bay air to be ingested by the intake. As intake air heats up, computer-controlled engines will retard ignition timing to prevent predetonation (pinging). When ignition is retarded, the engine loses horsepower. This is why CAIs are valuable.

If you can funnel outside air into the engine bay and directed at the intake filter, you are bound to reduce intake air temps.

Old 05-17-2008, 10:13 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Civic|UnLimiteD

oh ok...btw is the AEM V2 Dry Flow a CAI?...or is it a shortram? because my V2 dont go down like yours does, it stays right next to the battery
sorry if we didn't respond in your idea of a timely fashion.

to the original question, it's only recommended to unhook the battery for number one: you're working in the engine bay, and number two: it does slightly reset the ecu's memory but not anything significant. and it doesn't matter when you reset or if at all. and no, not resetting it will not hurt anything or have any negative side effects.

as for the question involving whether it's a cold air or sri, it all depends on which vehicle and model and engine. some cars configuration benefit from a cai configuration while others perform better with a sri setup. it's just the way AEM designed their intakes from car to car to gain the most reliable power from each unit they produce.

Old 05-17-2008, 11:01 PM
HCF Member

<3 i love you all xD...sorry its just that im used to responses within 24 hrs lol...so i didnt realise this part of the forum is slow..and also when i installed the V2 on his engine, it doesent sit right on the thing wher eur supposed to screw it in to hold it in place , ill try to take a pic and post it up, or even yet a video one with performance testing and then the same video later on with the issue

Old 05-21-2008, 09:40 AM
HCF Member

yeah a pic/video would be awesome. and you love us? no homo? well we love you too man, no homo. now post that pic up so we can analyze!

Old 05-23-2008, 03:45 PM
HCF Member

yea dude no homo hahaha..and this is on my friends car.. help plz..when we installed it its not falling directly inplace with the part where u have to screw it in...you'll see...any advice on how to install it so it falls inplace with the place where u have to screw it in

Name:  DSC00318.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  88.8 KB
thats how its sitting ^^^^
Name:  DSC00319.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  68.4 KB
thats the part thats pissin me off and i think could be dangerous ^^^^

plz help

Old 05-25-2008, 02:09 PM
HCF Member