Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

installing headers

Old 12-23-2006, 06:51 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: installing headers

ya those lower spring bolts usualy snap..... those are the only bolts ive ever had to replace....

other than that clean off the engine blocks bolts with a good wire brush and put some antize stuff on the bolts before cranken down the nuts.... just be sure to use a torque wrench and be sure not to overtighten them!

Old 12-24-2006, 12:14 AM
HCF Member

dont fool with obx. for about 50 more bucks you can get a dc sports 4-2-1 ceramic

Old 12-24-2006, 06:34 AM
HCF Member

If you are strapped for cash, look on ebay for a used DC or similar quality header. You should be able to find one for ~ $100. Then jack that thing up and get to work. Nothing to it, but if you don't have a cat-back already, I would suggest getting that first.

Old 12-24-2006, 09:04 AM

go easy on the o2 senser aswell, they can be damaged quite easily

Old 12-24-2006, 11:00 AM
Recognized HCF Member

o man those are definatly the hardest to remove!!!! forget the bolts that thing will be alot harder to remove.LMFAO

i had to soak my O2 sensor down in penatrating oil all night for it to finaly be able to break it loose.....

another thing you need to be aware of is where the O2 sensor is.... the one i bought at a local carshow wasnt right and the sensor was infront.... well after that i tried extending the o2 wires... and that didnt work... CEL came on and wouldnt go off... so i had to go to a exaust shop and buy a weld in O2 bung and cut a hole in my header tube in the rear for the stock location and solder my o2 sensor wires back together shorter..... and luckely that worked and no cel light now
but still a big hassle..... that would be a very bad problem for anyone that doesnt have the tools to cut and weld...

Old 12-24-2006, 01:21 PM
HCF Member

ok now im a little confused, i am not sure where the o2 sensor is and 02 wires, i am fairly new to this stuff so can someone tell me where they r located lol.. also someone told me i will need a car jack to install my headers, i dont know why this is so, is this true??

Old 12-24-2006, 01:42 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well ya do need to lift the car cause lets face it.... ya got to get under the car!!!
depends on your year and model where your O2 sensor is located.... on some they are upfront on the passenger side of the stock header, and on others its in the rear of the lower pipe behind the motor...

but like doing anything under the car be sure to use some car jack stands before ya get under the car! dont trust a small jack or even a big jack....... they do blow out! dont trust your life on a little O ring inside that jack...

you dont want to mess with any wiring! i tried and it didnt work out for me! so do your best to buy the right header so you can simply remove the O2 sensor and screw it into the new header....

thiers a few good headers that include a extension plug that simply extends the sensor and wiring to the front location if its thier... BUT thats only the realy good brands.
dont expect it....

Old 12-24-2006, 05:06 PM
HCF Member

this seems a little more complicated to me, i thought i just had 2 bolt off the old header and throw on the new header, obviously theirs more so i am not sure on whether 2 do it myself or professionally =(

Old 12-24-2006, 05:24 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ORIGINAL: ic892003

this seems a little more complicated to me, i thought i just had 2 bolt off the old header and throw on the new header, obviously theirs more so i am not sure on whether 2 do it myself or professionally =(
2bolts....LOL thiers more like o not sure... under a dozen on the block.... 3 holding the upper and lower header together... and the 2 holding the lower to the rear pipe...
as well as the O2 sensor....

its realy not a difficult job.... just be sure you buy the right header!
but if you dont have a torque wrench id advice either geting one or just paying someone to do it for ya... tho for the price of a cheap torque wrench go ahead and buy it and do it all yourself.... youll still probably save money and have a torque wrench for all your other mods if you do any

only tools id say ya need is a decent set of open end wrenches... torque wrench, and a GOOD set of vis grips.... and some penetrating oil for those stuborn bolts and nuts.... just spray it first realy good before ya plan on doing any work!!!! if ya spray them enough and alow them enough time to soak... they should come out easily enough.... and be sure to spray the crap outta the O2 sensor.LOL

BUT if ya dont want to go thru all that trouble OR if ya got alot of miles on your ride just go ahead and buy a new one and put in your new header....

buying a new one would make it awhole lot easier... and WHY NOT buy a new one might need replaced anyways

JUST BE SURE your header has the same location O2 sensor.....

Old 12-24-2006, 05:30 PM
HCF Member

ok wut is the purpose of the o2 sensor?????

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: installing headers