Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Just installed intake, couple of q's

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 07:06 PM
Default Just installed intake, couple of q's

Hey, I just did my first real mod on my 98 Auto DX: An SRI. I bought a BOMZ cold air intake off of ebay for $32 shipped. I just got back in from trying it out and am pretty pleased. I didn't notice too much performance wise, but the sound is amazing

I decided to use it as an SRI for now (only using one of the pipes) since it's early spring, etc. Since it's not really designed to be an SRI, the filter rubbed up against the hood and made a vibrating noise, so I put some rubber tubing on the end of a bracket and made a "ghetto arm" to hold down the intake. Seems to work I also didn't attach the tubing to anything. It's basically just suspended by the blue hose where the intake connects to the TB. Is this a bad thing? The intake came with some "brackets" lol, but I couldn't really find a way to make these do anything useful.

The intake also came with a black folded strip of rubber that I don't know what to do with. It looks like one of those plastic bindings you'd put on the side of a report. My intake seems to work fine...any ideas on this piece?

Thanks!

**Edit: A question has been raised regarding the blue breather tube. Is this just supposed to attach directly to the valve cover or am I supposed to route it through the stock tubing...or would it be even better to just ditch the tube and get a breather filter?

Another question I have is still listed in my first statement: What is that black thing? lol**

Old 03-22-2006, 08:11 PM
Default RE: Just installed intake, couple of q's

well it's not a really good thing to just have it moving around there....but that's how i had my SRI before i bought a AEM one. the "blue hose" where it connects to the "engine" (<--your throttle body), that is where your going to want to put a "bracket". your going to want two right there, two where the two intake pipes meet, and one where the filter and the intake meet. and the rubber piece i believe is so when you have your intake it....it doesn't scratch the hell out of the intake. i'm telling you as far as i know....i'm sure someone will come by and correct me but it's better than what you've gotten so far.

Old 03-22-2006, 08:23 PM
HCF Member

ya with only a little power added your not going to really "feel" a difference but atleast its breather a bit easer, now you got to add exhust and header...im not sure about the black flolding thing, but i agree with him^ you shouldent have it just hanging, you should install the brackit you got with it, i no mine connects were the filter is and then i screw it onto one of my strut towers were the screw for my stock intake was

Old 03-22-2006, 08:24 PM

Here's a pic of the kit I got. By bracket I mean the straight metal piece and the L-shaped metal piece. You can also see the "black rubber thing" in the pic Right now like I said above, I bolted one end of the straight metal piece to one of the holes formerly taken by the stock intake. The other end is basically pushing down on the intake pipe to keep it off of the hood.

Old 03-23-2006, 09:15 AM

ok....the straight one probably gets bolted from the strut tower to your intake....the L-shaped one most likely goes down by the fender where the CAI ends. i just installed a CAI on tuesday but was for a tC, so i'm just going by that thinking it shouldn't be too much different for a civic.

Old 03-23-2006, 09:23 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: zapman98

Hey, I just did my first real mod on my 98 Auto DX: An SRI. I bought a BOMZ cold air intake off of ebay for $32 shipped. I just got back in from trying it out and am pretty pleased. I didn't notice too much performance wise, but the sound is amazing

I decided to use it as an SRI for now (only using one of the pipes) since it's early spring, etc. Since it's not really designed to be an SRI, the filter rubbed up against the hood and made a vibrating noise, so I put some rubber tubing on the end of a bracket and made a "ghetto arm" to hold down the intake. Seems to work I also didn't attach the tubing to anything. It's basically just suspended by the blue hose where the intake connects to the engine. Is this a bad thing? The intake came with some "brackets" lol, but I couldn't really find a way to make these do anything useful.

The intake also came with a black folded strip of rubber that I don't know what to do with. It looks like one of those plastic bindings you'd put on the side of a report. My intake seems to work fine...any ideas on this piece?

Thanks!
Take a pic and post it here. You might be feeding hot air in.

Old 03-23-2006, 10:02 AM
HCF Member

that might be a universal pic they use. Your kit might look a bit different...

As for the hot air, its really not that big of a difference. 1 to 2 hp maybe. Once your car is in motion the air is continuously circulating and its all the same anyways. The only true diffrence would be if the intake was sticking outside the body or visually seen below the underside.

Old 03-23-2006, 03:10 PM

ORIGINAL: Spark

ok....the straight one probably gets bolted from the strut tower to your intake....the L-shaped one most likely goes down by the fender where the CAI ends. i just installed a CAI on tuesday but was for a tC, so i'm just going by that thinking it shouldn't be too much different for a civic.
where where would it attach to the intake? There really isn't any way to mount it

ORIGINAL: Polo708

that might be a universal pic they use. Your kit might look a bit different...
That's what my kit looks like.

Old 03-23-2006, 03:36 PM

Here's some pics showing what I mean.

**Edit: I've now jb welded the bracket on to the bottom of the pipe, so it's no longer simply pushing down on the top**

Old 03-23-2006, 09:41 PM

weld the piece to the intake

Quick Reply: Just installed intake, couple of q's