Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Just installed intake - stalling, question about parts couldn't remove, etc

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 06:17 PM
HCF Member
Default Just installed intake - stalling, question about parts couldn't remove, etc

So I just installed a Mishimoto CF intake.

When I was installing it, I tried to install the silicone tubing included, however the tube that's already there, the one that attaches to the valve cover, is welded to a metal piece holding another tube, and the sensor wiring. It's all one piece. I basically just moved it to the side and cut the included silicone tubing to size and installed that using the original clamps that were on the old tube.

How did you guys deal with the stock tubing/metal piece so that it didn't get in the way or how did you guys remove it completely?

The other issue I'm having is that the engine keeps stalling. I adjusted the idle and it was ok for a bit, took the car for a spin but when I pulled back into my driveway it stalled again and it was idling low. Is there something I'm missing here, something I have to do to 'reset' something, or do I just have to keep adjusting the idle screw until it doesn't stall anymore?

('98 EX Coupe)

Old 08-07-2009, 06:29 PM
Administrator - Formerly 90Civtegra

the best solution to that dual metal pipe (if I'm thinking of the same one you are, pics are great sometimes) is to eliminate it. You'll need to get a longer piece of rubber fuel line to replace the side of the metal pipe that has coolant running through it. Use fuel line because coolant will break down normal vacuum line. Once you run that line from the back of the head to the throttle body (should go from rubber line to the dual metal pipe then back to rubber line) then you can use that silicone line supplied with the intake.

Your stalling problem I'm not sure about? How are you adjusting your idle? Did you plug anything you might have unplugged installing your intake back in?

Old 08-07-2009, 06:50 PM
HCF Member

Ah, ok so it's a coolant line. I was wondering what it's for. When I go to replace it, is there anything I need to do to it first, or do I just disconnect everything and try to reconnect as quickly as possible without leaking too much coolant everywhere?

As far as the stalling issue.. I've been adjusting the idle with the screw on the throttle cable. I didn't unplug anything before or during the installation besides the MAF sensor, but all I did was pull it out from the original intake tube... then stuck it in the new one.

Should I have disconnected the battery before I did the swap? Should I disconnect it now to reset the ECU?

I should mention, although I don't know if it's relevant or not, but I also cleaned the IACV when I had everything off.. I figured I may as well since I was already working in the area... I took out the two bolts, sprayed the two holes on the unit, and also the two holes it on the intake manifold, then wiped well with a cloth. The screen was caked with carbon, so I got that nice and clean.

Last edited by kloan; 08-07-2009 at 06:52 PM.
Old 08-07-2009, 07:31 PM
Administrator - Formerly 90Civtegra

as long as you dont try to replace the line while the engine is running you will only lose a tiny bit of coolant when you disconnect that line.

did you plug the IVAC back in? is it sitting properly on the intake manifold? you can try to reset the ECU by pulling out the 7.5A back up fuse from the under the hood fuse box.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:44 PM
HCF Member

Ok, as long as I don't to worry about air getting into that line or anything like that...

I didn't unplug the IAVC, just unbolted the two bolts and removed it enough that I could clean it.. there were other tubes attached I didn't feel like taking apart.

I'll try pulling that fuse to reset the ECU... I hope that does the trick, or else I dunno what else I can do.

Old 08-12-2009, 01:29 AM
HCF Member

The sensor on the intake tube is not the map sensor it is the intake temp sensor. Make sure that it is all the way in the flow of the incoming air and is plug in all the way. An intake should not cause this problem and adjusting the idle is a quick fix. You need to have the codes pulled on the car. If it is OBD2 96 and new go to a local parts store and they can help you free of charge. If you are OBD1 or OBD then look up the code retreival in the repair manual. This will point ypu in the right direction to fix the problem. I just noticed up pulled the ECU fuse and reset the codes you need to drive the car for a while and if the CEI and problem comes back then pull codes.

Old 08-12-2009, 03:40 AM
HCF Member

you should try unplugging the negative battery terminal, waiting like 5 min, and then attach it again, start the car up with no electrical **** running and let it idle for a while(like 10 min) in order to reset the ECU so it can re-evaluate the intake. You should reset the ECU every time you install something new that effects the engine.

now your idle control screw is prolly all messed up, you might wanna rent a tachometer and set it to the proper rpm's, the dashboard tach isnt accurate enough. There is a link with direction in RonJ's signature i think.

hopefully this will help your problem. I also have a low idle problem and some erratic shifting and rpm spiking. I think my problem is either the TPS sensor, or my timing. If you still have the problem after resetting the ecu, you might wanna look into checking these things as well.

Old 11-04-2009, 06:17 PM

Rather than start a new thread, I hope it's alright if I ask my question regarding the same intake here.

So I installed it on my stock engine (97 Civic CX) but I'm a bit puzzled regarding the rubber hose it came with. I had the older model of this intake before and it didn't have that so I had no problems. Now, however, I'm not sure wtf to do with it.

Here's a pic of the bay/intake.

Could anyone guide me as to where the hose would go from the intake to the...? I'm pretty newb so you might have to explain with extra details hahah

Last edited by Boogie9IGN; 11-04-2009 at 08:15 PM.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:43 PM
HCF Member

Boogie-
The small and longer stem on the intake is where the tube goes, the tube connects from the upper left of the valve cover to the intake. With mine I took the hose off the valve cover and put a breather filter on the vc and just capped off the stem on the intake. Also, you have to plug in the MAF (mass airflow sensor) into the wider hole next to it on the itnake, doesn't look like it's in there from the pic. Resize your pics smaller in the future btw.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:20 PM

Oops! Sorry about the size! Edited it with a smaller pic.

Thanks a lot for the reply! Lemme see if I have this straight..

So what you're saying is the provided tube would go where the yellow line is? What's a breather filter? And the MAF goes into what's circled in red? Where is the MAF located exactly?