Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

magnaflow cat converter & muffler

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 09:21 PM
Default magnaflow cat converter & muffler

Ok, thinking about doing this. Magnaflow muffler street series, round 4", 2.25" inlet, overall size 20"(not sure how body size effects perfromance?). Looking maybe to replace the stock cat with a 2.25 magnaflow to match. If I replace the cat I should get piping to match i suppose...Researches the whole cat thing but dont want to remove just get better free flowing one, wouldnt hurt right?

Oh, yeah D15B7 motor...95 civic....Thanks for any info to help me make some decisions, tryin to do alot of research so I dont buy parts and end up with a crappy soudning car.

Old 01-27-2008, 09:58 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: magnaflow cat converter & muffler

I've got a 97 with a header, no cat, 2.25" piping and a single 2.25" magnaflow oval muffler. It sounds great but is too damn loud. going with a cat as well will make this a little quieter (already got one myself but i need a new O2 sensor so i don't run too rich and foul my new cat)

do you have the stock exhaust manifold or do you have a header? if your still running the cast iron manifold i would'nt run too big of a pipe as the exhaust is only as good as it's most restrictive part.

Old 01-27-2008, 10:33 PM
HCF Member

I been buying Magnaflow Products for over 6 yrs great stuff...I recommend Not changing the cat or if you do don't install a High Flow cat because it will sound real deep and loud with 2.25" pipping + don't even think on removing the RESONATOR it will sound even LOUDER and sound ****ty. I always purchase the Street Series but oval because they have more packing and sound better than round one's.

On my 94 accord Ex I installed a Magnaflow Cat (high flow) + 2.25" custom pipping + Magnaflow Street Series ( oval double tip) It got so loud I had to installed another RESONATOR it just quited down just a bit. I'm thinking on removing my cat and add a Magnaflow cat with OEM specifications to quite it down..It sounds really deep.

On my Si I also havea Magnaflow Street series. Sounds good I didn't change my pipping since it comes already with 2" inch pipping I wasn't going to pay all that cash for an EXTRA 1/4"

Old 01-27-2008, 11:25 PM

Thanks for the advice. I have the stock manifold right now. dont think im planning on replacing with nice headers, was but...im not sure i want to put that much into this car since i now know of what to expect from the d15b7 engine. If I get the bigger piping it sounds like it be a waste since the stock manifold is there. Are most of the magnaflow cats high flow? i was just glancing on ebay earlier. there alot bigger then the stock one i notice. If i get the piping done at the shop how much would that likely run, 2.25"? I suppose the stock piping size is 1" since the muffler inlet appears to be that size, manifold pipes look like 2" guessing. Im gonna call honda place and find out also if the manifold exits at that, curious...

Old 01-27-2008, 11:37 PM
HCF Member

What trim is your car....Summit racing sells direct bolt on cats. Great store I used them before... OEM specifications and High flows.....Im not sure but I think your pipping it's 1 3/4"...When I did that completepipping job on my accord with A high flow (magnaflow)cat it cost me 185.00 that was the cheapest here in Souther Cali. Well in my City . My accord also came with 1 3/4 pipping went with 2.25" it was a diffrerence..Half an inch. I still have the stock maniflod on my accord..Shi-t if I had some headers on it right now it would drive me INSANE..lol

Old 01-27-2008, 11:41 PM

My make is a DX, and I was looking at headers and stuff on ebay, i ordered stuff from gtracers before good quality, brand new, no problem, they have some jdm stainless 4-2-1 headers $50 plus $40 shipping, what you think, should the low cost concern me, or is it cause the brand....it's gonna be better then the stock oem old manifold i have now. Ad below

Old 01-27-2008, 11:51 PM
HCF Member

I wouldn't Buy those headers.There not even approved for carb legal, as what i know Dc Sports are the only headers here in the market in the US that are CARB legal.You get what you pay for and don't be mad or amazeif down the road they crack..Personally I went with DC Sports because emissions here in California are a pain in the ***..Beside Dc sports are real good quality can't complain about that..A lot of persons buy Megan headers I guess they are good if your state don't careabout theCARB label on it. I also heard DC Sports are making some headers with out the CARB label they should be way cheaper, compare to the one with the CARB label.

Here this cats are for your car...there some high flow in there..and a bolt on from catco I heard they are good also.
http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...115+4294924755

Here look at this Megan headers
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Megan...spagenameZWDVW

Summit racing also sell headman headers I heard those are good also.

Old 01-28-2008, 12:16 AM

Yeah, i got you, i like the dc headers also, was looking at them back when i was like yeah om going to do this this and that, i believe you get what you pay for, just figured i spend not so much for lesser quality and have it around for good while. The stock manifolds must be built real tough to hold up for so damm long, made from cast iron....Checked out that cat link, nice price on that and 2"inlet i suppose is close to the oem or is exactly the same, might have to get that. I wonder how everything bolts together down on the exhaust setup...like does the pipes from the manifold have to be same as cat, and cat to exhaust pipes same, as far as fitting or do they use some adapter or something.