Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Manifold Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 02:42 PM
HCF Member
Arrow Manifold Question

So my friend hooked me up with a aem filter and i replaced the spectre one, but in doing so i told him the car wasnt passing emissions test. He then showed me his car which had a manifold while he explained mine only had a carb to the intake.

Would this produce failed emissions?

Old 09-05-2009, 02:53 PM
Recognized HCF Member

a carb to the intake? WTF

you have fuel injection. a carb setup is old school. you just have the DX intake manifold and he has a EX intake manifold. style is the main difference. it will not make you pass emision.
you need to find out why you didnt pass emision! could be you just need a tune up. but if your burning oil then theres no way to really keep that from making you fail emision... you can try some engine restore but that only helps alittle if any.

but enough... why did you actually fail emission?

Old 09-05-2009, 02:57 PM
Chubby Chaser

yea^ you have a fuel injected intake manifold its just a different style. your emission test will say why you didnt pass. also i warned you about adding stuff to the engine. be very cautious because CA is very strict. i'd tell your friend to not talk if he dont know what the hell he is talking about.

Old 09-05-2009, 02:59 PM
HCF Member

Well, not me personally didnt pass emissions but the previous owner didnt. CEL is on and im having a clue as to if thats the reason why its on probably.

he has a 93hb? not sure if ex but yeah hes good with cars as well, so im pretty sure he might have been true to what he was saying.

what exactly is a carb setup? (btw previous owner was asian and her gf sold me it and said "what can i see he's like a ricer") (not tryin to be a jerk either sorry, just quotin)

Old 09-05-2009, 03:01 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ya no way you can pass emission tests by adding any aftermarket parts! if anything aftermarket will hurt your emission output!

but you need to tell us WHY YOU FAILED...
hell in cali they can fail you for having a aftermarket parts that are not C.A.R.B legal and have that stated!
only intake im aware of that is carb legal is AEM air intakes but if it doesnt have that CARB sticker on it they call it illegal.

edit
o ya if you dont know WHY it failed then you need to find out why. easiest thing to do is pull the code from the check engine light!

Old 09-05-2009, 03:04 PM
HCF Member

well, the air intake isn't a aem one, its an aftermarket one im taking its illegal then? only aem thing on it is the filter.
so that is to a reason why they failed the car for emissions test? what about the CEL light on?

Old 09-05-2009, 03:33 PM
Recognized HCF Member

they could just fail the visual inspection. BUT if you have a CEL light on that is probably why... hell ive heard of some people that fail just because the CEL light is on.
pull the code from the CEL and tell us.

Old 09-05-2009, 03:38 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Old 09-05-2009, 03:52 PM
HCF Member

4) WITH THE CAR OFF, insert either a 2pin connector clip, or loop a thin enough piece of wire into both holes on the connector.

how do i do that step? sorry im 18 its confusing.

Old 09-05-2009, 03:56 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by JayVee
4) WITH THE CAR OFF, insert either a 2pin connector clip, or loop a thin enough piece of wire into both holes on the connector.

how do i do that step? sorry im 18 its confusing.
exactly what it says with the key in the OFF position put a paperclip or wire on that 2 pin conector to basically just jump the wire terminals, THEN turn the ignition on like it says and count the blinks

really very easy. after you do it once its a breeze!

Quick Reply: Manifold Question