Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Modifying an AEM CAI

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 01:25 PM
HCF Member
Default Modifying an AEM CAI

I've had this thing for a year now, and I'm not impressed so far. It sits so far from the engine, you gotta wait until 4k to get any useable power. It's like your trying to pipe cement uphill to get the engine some air. Also, it sucks up all that slush that we get in the wintertime, and the filter location makes it an utter pain to service.

So, I'm thinking of chopping 4-6 inches off the intake with a saw, and replacing the filter just inside the engine bay. I may even fabricate a little box for the filter to sit inside, so it doesn't draw too much engine heat and avoids more winter sludge that comes up through the engine bay.

I feel this may improve low-end torque a bit, because it's not drawing so far for air. That, and I'll actually be able to service the filter without dedicating an entire afternoon to removing fenders and panels.

Cold air intakes = All HYPE from my experience.

Sound like a good plan?

Old 08-15-2006, 01:31 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Modifying an AEM CAI

Hmm...Personally I wouldn't want to go around cutting a $200 intake. In reality you could just buy a dirt cheap SRI off ebay which is basically the same thing you would be doing to your cai (just a pipe with a filter), then you could still make the box for it to sit in and whatnot, plus you could also then sell the CAI and make some money off it.

Old 08-15-2006, 01:44 PM
mxs
HCF Member

Even with the stock airbox, or even with my V2, you don't get much power before 4k. It's the nature of the engine.

But if you insist... Just undo the coupler and only use half of the intake. Don't cut it in half

Old 08-15-2006, 02:03 PM
HCF Member

^ ditto to both posts. A short ram will be a little louder but no power difference. You are experiencing the Honda Curse. This curse is well known to make Honda famous for no torque in their motors. Sadly, most think an intake will be night and day difference but really, it isnt.

Old 08-15-2006, 06:44 PM
HCF Member

My SRI is worse on the bottom end than my CAI. It pulls better on the top end though than my CAI in my opinion. I like my SRI way better than my CAI.

Old 08-15-2006, 07:21 PM

cutting the tube and all wont be bad per say but u'll prolly barely notice a power difference...if there is one at all

Old 08-16-2006, 12:06 AM
HCF Member

buy a cheap 3" sri(teg type-r) and be done..............i too hate the crap that gets stuck on filters when you have a cai. in the winter time mine would ice up badly. so dont chop the aem.......sell it to fund your 3" sri

Old 08-16-2006, 07:54 AM
HCF Member

Oh my gosh, its an AEM CAI! You should be able to get like a bazillion dollars for it! Seriously though, these guys have the right idea, don't chop up your shyt. Just get a SRI and sell the CAI to that kid who drives down your street at 3am with the exhaust that sounds like it just took a dump on your lawn.