Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Muffler Installation ???

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 05:54 PM
Default Muffler Installation ???

Ok i was gonna get my performance muffler put on so i called up my uncle cuz my mom said he had a welder and he does that stuf....well after i called him he said the only thing he doesnt have is a welder but he asked me if it could be bolted on and he wanted to take a look at it....is this possible or am i wasting my time and needs to be welded??? help me out thanx

Old 09-07-2006, 06:28 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Muffler Installation ???

You can use a guillotine clamp or a band clamp.

I recommened the band clamp (it's a 4" wide band of metal that wraps around the pipe and then the ends bolt together) because it won't ruin the pipe and seals better.

Also, fold some aluminum foil into a fat strip to use as a gasket.

Old 09-07-2006, 08:16 PM

ok is this just as good as welding it....no downfalls???? whats it cost to get the clamp and whatever else needed for this way of installation??? anyone have expierence with this?? thanx

Old 09-08-2006, 02:41 PM
HCF Member

No, i dont have experience, but i think clamping it on will be a little easier, and by the way, Where do you buy these band clamps? Hardware stores?

Old 09-08-2006, 02:43 PM
Administrator

if it is just a muffler, can it really be called "performance"?

Old 09-08-2006, 03:05 PM
HCF Member

im sur ethis method is a lil more acceptable to exhaust leaks

Old 09-08-2006, 03:24 PM
Recognized HCF Member

the band clamps REALY WORK WELL!

i buy mine from napa autoparts.
i used em on my old jimmy to strap on the flowmaster muffler and i had no problems at all with it for ruffly a year!
i removed it and the muffler and besides alittle rust the clamp was still in great condition!
just as good as welding id say.

JUST BE SURE that you have a clean pipe to go onto thats also in a perfect O shape... cause if its got a bend or badly rusted the strap clamp wont seal properly....

exaust doesnt always have to be welded... look at ALOT of bolt on kits for big trucks... they totaly bolt together with just standard U clamps... but those kits are made with perfect diameters where the clamps go...

just be sure to use the right size clamp and you shouldnt have any problems!
my old 66impala i made the whole exaust system and clamped it all together and never had any problems with it!
i only had a leak in one spot and alls i did was tighten it down alittle more which stoped the leak

tho dont get me wrong... welds are the best mainly due to the fact that they are SOLID!
a standard U clamp can twist or buckle the pipe with abuse...

also one thing if you do decide to weld it on... be sure to slap some thick header paint on it so it wont rust out as easy....
my old crx i had the weld had rusted out on the flange pipe... but i just droped the pipe and welded it up from the inside. worked fine for that turd!

Old 09-08-2006, 04:57 PM
HCF Member

They seal fine. That's why I said to fold up some aluminum foil to lay over the joint before you put the clamp on, then there won't be any leaks EVER.

Old 09-08-2006, 06:41 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ive never done that foil thing.... i just clean and slap em over the pipes

Old 09-08-2006, 07:10 PM
HCF Member

I was referencing dfdon's post about them being more susceptabel to leaking. But yeah, the foil really helps. I used them on my diesel because exhaust leaks would show up as jets of black smoke lol.

Quick Reply: Muffler Installation ???