Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

My CAI Sucks

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 10:29 AM
Default My CAI Sucks

I just installed my new AEM CAI, and it is making a rather lous 'sucking' noise that tends to come and go. It seems like most of the time it is related to the throttle being pressed, although it seems to come and go with the AC kicking on and off too.

Is this normal?

For the record it doesn't 'suck' it actually works really well and I felt a difference after install. It does appear to have slightly impacted my gas mileage, which is odd because I thought it was supposed to get better. I was averaging 31 before and now its more like 29.

Old 08-23-2005, 10:56 AM
Laced with Sarcasm
Default RE: My CAI Sucks

how long have you had it in there? I think you may need to just give it a chance to do its thing. Jumping to conclusions about gas mileage the day after you install it will get you nowhere. It is supposed to make a sucking noise, considering it IS in fact sucking air up. This will change slightly with the A/C being on and off as well.

Old 08-23-2005, 11:05 AM

I figured as much with the gas mileage. The first tank I put in was pretty crappy, but I was driving like a pretty big ***, having fun with all my new horses and all... so I figured that didn't count. The next tank is getting a little better, right around 30. So it is basically unchanged... I watch it every tank so I'll get a feel for where it is over time.

I was mostly worried about the 'sucking' noise.... just wanted to make sure I didn't have a 'leak' or anything.

Thanks for the help.

(You are my hero Forty BTW, I think I've got almost the exact same car as you and if I can get mine to look half as sweet as yours I'll be happy)

Old 08-23-2005, 11:36 AM
HCF Member

Yea the big sucking noise is the massive amount of air your car is getting. Try this: suck on a coffee straw. Now go to McDonalds and snag one of those big coke straws and suck through that. I rest my case. Now, about your MPG. Forty is right. You shouldnt base it off a day you had it. It will eventually get better, that is if you dont drive you car like you stole it. If you baby it, it will get better mileage. Im not sure if im 100% correct on this one (correct me if im worng, others) but I think that your ecu needs to adjust itself to it. After all it does monitor and train itself to the way you drive.

BTW, if you want your car to be nearly as cool as Forty's, you gotta get a Honda Civic Forum sticker![8D]

Old 08-23-2005, 11:47 AM

Yes the HCF sticker... I consider that the pièce de résistance. Once all else has been completed... then and only then shall I place the HCF decal.

Then my jouney towards the import-side shall be complete.

Old 08-23-2005, 12:44 PM
Laced with Sarcasm

ORIGINAL: althius
(You are my hero Forty BTW, I think I've got almost the exact same car as you and if I can get mine to look half as sweet as yours I'll be happy)

haha, thanks man! You're not too far behind me, thats for sure. No problem on the help, thats what i'm here for

Keep us posted on the gas mileage and what not.

Old 08-23-2005, 04:02 PM
HCF Member

Your import journey is longer than you think grasshopper. Well, you might as well get a sticker now since I only got like 70 odd left. They are going slow and I knew they would do that [:@]. Everyone wanted one so bad and I wanted one so bad... eh. I aint gonna do it again.

Old 08-23-2005, 08:06 PM

Filled up today and it did better than I thought. 35mpg.

My fuel gauge is so wacky... it always looks like I'm on E, but then I fill it up and it stops at 8.2g. I even topped it off just cause it seemed low... but then gas started spraying everwhere... so I'm gonna say 8.2 was pretty close to full.

I mean it IS a 12 gallon tank... right?

I was at 285 on the odo....

35*12 means I should be able to get around 420 out of my tank... and I read a tick over E at 285...? Oh well... I've heard the Honda fuel gauges were a bit dodgey.

Old 08-23-2005, 11:40 PM
HCF Member

The AEM CAI improved the mileage on my Civic, but I was running 24 mpg before so I just regained lost mileage.
The inaccuracy in the fuel gauge is mainly for idiot-proofing. There had been a ton of guys out there in the freeway stalling because they let their cars run on fumes, so car makers made the fuel gauge stupid to counter those guys' stupidity. If the gauge points to "E", that means you have about 2-2/3 gals. of gas left (or 93.45 miles left at 35 mpg). Why do I know? It'll be nice to be able say I work for Honda, or that I'm the head mechanic for Jotech, but I just keep really good records. I bet it's not just Civics that have that fail safe fuel gauge.
Oh... The CAI is supposed to suck--air, that is. Be worried if it doesn't suck. The only time you have to get scared about the sucking sound is when the CAI sucks water and you don't have a bypass valve. Don't believe me? Have some fun and try it! Send us some pics of the experiment while you're at it.

Old 08-24-2005, 01:36 AM

forget pics take video i want to see your face in action and hear the bad words
ORIGINAL: ebengot

Send us some pics of the experiment while you're at it.

Quick Reply: My CAI Sucks