Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

need help!! read asap! what is this!pic's!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 03:05 PM
HCF Member
Default need help!! read asap! what is this!pic's!

IM INSTALING A NEW exhaust and, i dont know if i need to use this? it was between the mid pip and stock exhaust system.

what is it?

http://i30.tinypic.com/33wqkar.jpg

http://i26.tinypic.com/jrvfd0.jpg

Old 05-16-2008, 04:03 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: need help!! read asap! what is this!pic's!

i putt the aftermarket exhaust on, but there is some air coming out where the exhaust meets the mid pip... so i may have it on wrong, but ill take it out and put the exhaust on without it, and see if there is still air coming out..

Old 05-16-2008, 04:12 PM
HCF Member

its a type of seal that goes between the two pipes you mentioned, most after market exhausts come with a replacement one or you can get a new one, you need some type of seal there or it will leak

Old 05-16-2008, 04:41 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: colby_666

its a type of seal that goes between the two pipes you mentioned, most after market exhausts come with a replacement one or you can get a new one, you need some type of seal there or it will leak
i have the seal in there now, and it is leaking air!! so what can i do? the bolt have a spring on one end, i have it on there as tight as it will go on. so maby it can go tighter, but i dont wnat to break anthing? idk, but the seal is between there and im still leaking.....any help on whast going on??

Old 05-16-2008, 05:16 PM
HCF Member

dammmm...cry,cry... i broke one of the bolts....i prbly have some bolts laying around, but damm...
so, i dont know what to do.. the seal is fine, but it still leaks...

Old 05-16-2008, 06:05 PM
HCF Member

so, i dont have an air leak any more, now that im using a bolt with out the spring.. so, do i need the springs? i think i will be fine if i just go and by some bolts and just use them and not tthe one with the spring? i think it was giving me the air leak because the blots witht the springs were not long enuff?

Old 05-16-2008, 06:32 PM
June 2010 ROTM

You need to replace that "donut" gasket with a NEW one. The spings allow the exhaust flex when the engine rocks. Otherwise you are pulling on your exhaust all the time.

Old 05-16-2008, 06:49 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: danomatic93

You need to replace that "donut" gasket with a NEW one. The spings allow the exhaust flex when the engine rocks. Otherwise you are pulling on your exhaust all the time.

Is it ok to pull on the exhaust? there isnt an air leak, so i dont need a new donut gasket?

I was geting the leak becasue the stock bolts were not long enuff to fill the gap, between the muffler and mid pip?

So my problem was that i need longer bolt's.To find this out on my own, i had to over tightn and breakone of the stock bolts lol....

Old 05-16-2008, 07:12 PM
June 2010 ROTM

lol, I suggest getting a new gasket and get bolts/washers/nuts that are long enough to still use the springs and tighten them down.

Old 05-16-2008, 07:16 PM
HCF Member

That seal looks like it's been shot - I'd get a new one or use the one that came with the cat-back. The springs serve a purpose - they allow for differential expansion and contraction of the pipes and flanges. Did the new exhaust come with instructions? See my sig for a link to my DIYs. You'll see how I installed my Magnaflows.

Quick Reply: need help!! read asap! what is this!pic's!