Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

New header

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 08:30 AM
Default New header

I just installed my Megan header yesterday on my 03 civic ex, and after i drove it home (about 13 miles) my car sounded like a race car, like there wasn't even an exhaust on the thing. So this morning I pull it out side and look at the header, and the bolt that covers up the O2 sensor slot I'm assuming is missing. Luckly I found it on the ground in my driveway, but how did that just pop off?

Old 05-23-2007, 08:37 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: New header

did you tighten it down hard? Could always use some Lock-tight if you are going to leave that in there all the time.

and just out of curiosity are u gettign a CEL with no sensor in there?

Old 05-23-2007, 08:38 AM
HCF Member

doug is that the one that you didn't use? I know there were 2 spots for my o2 sensor on my megan header that i installed a couple weeks back...the same thing happened to me yesterday as the entire bolt was on the verge of coming right off and my car sounded awful! i made sure I torqued that bad boy down...i would think that the heat would cause the bolt to come loose...that's why i'm going to be re-torqueing all my nuts and bolts again. good thing you found it!

Old 05-23-2007, 09:30 AM
Super Cereal Admin

yeah, heat will do that... it's why if you read the instructions, they tell you to take the car for a test drive and listen for exhaust leaks, then to wait for the car to cool down and re-torque the bolts.

Old 05-23-2007, 09:44 AM
HCF Member

Recently I just blew a midway gasketon my megan header. After I installed my header a few months ago I told myself that I was going to re-tighten everything in a week after it breaks in. Of course I didn't and now I'm paying for it. Atleast it's not that major of a problem just a $15 part that megan racing sent out the day i ordered it but still don't over look those things.

Old 05-23-2007, 03:49 PM

ORIGINAL: FlipHKD720

did you tighten it down hard? Could always use some Lock-tight if you are going to leave that in there all the time.

and just out of curiosity are u gettign a CEL with no sensor in there?
I didn't tighten that one down, and it is the extra one that isn't used, so no CEL.

I work at a dealership, so I just retightened it as hard as we could, and the mechanic said Lock-tight might not hold up under the heat. But I have driven it around for a day now so i think tomorrow I am going to come back in and re-tighten up everything.

Old 05-30-2007, 09:21 PM
HCF Member

lmfao! same thing happend to me when i first installed my header, i drove home from my job (garage) and when i got here it was fine, i left again it sounded like pure ****, when i came back home i saw the nut just laying there. =) thank you OBD1 Gods!