Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

New To Civic and New To Forums, DX to EX Header and Exhaust Question:

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 01:33 PM
Default New To Civic and New To Forums, DX to EX Header and Exhaust Question:

Hi, I'm new here and I'm getting my very first car on Tuesday. It's an auto (I know) 2004 Civic DX, I got a really good deal on it and it only has 24,492km. Anyways here's my dilemma:

I plan on putting on D17A2 head on it so I can get some extra HP and Vtec but until then I want to upgrade the exhaust and header. So do you think it would be worth it to get EX headers and exhaust and do the conversion thing? Or should I just hold out until I do the head swap (don't plan on doing one until warranty is up, 3 years)?

I don't know what you guys think?

Old 02-22-2008, 03:24 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: New To Civic and New To Forums, DX to EX Header and Exhaust Question:

hold on now your talking about mods that you wont do for another 3years?

im sorry but that sounds really weird!
in 3 years ya dont even know if youll still have the car... id say mod it now and enjoy it..... but thats just IMO......

Old 02-22-2008, 05:07 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: New To Civic and New To Forums, DX to EX Header and Exhaust Question:

Ok here is the thing. You have a 7th generation car. In all 7th generation civics, there are no headers and exhaust for the dx or lx models. You have to upgrade it to the EX model. Therefore you should wait till you do the mini me swap and then get the headers and exhaust

Old 02-22-2008, 05:23 PM

Megan makes a header for the DX/LX and DC Sports, Greddy, and Magnaflow make DX/LX exhaust systems.

I don't know, I really don't need a 200hp car, just something that has a little more kick and sounds a little better than stock. I might just get the Megan header, one of these exhausts, and a V2 intake and call it a day.

Old 02-22-2008, 05:27 PM
HCF Member

I understand your pain. I have a 02 LX. Seriously the D17a1 engine doesnt cut out. Long ago no one actually made one for the lx and dx version and after that I stopped looking for the 7th generation cars

Old 02-23-2008, 08:09 AM

Does anyone know if I could bolt on an EX header onto my LX? I would the get an EX catalytic converter and an EX sensor to keep everything warranty trouble free.

Edit- Okay if everything fits like I think it will this is what I'm going to do:

1) Replace my DX/LX header with a DC Sports 4-2-1
2) Get a downpipe that connects the DC header to the catalytic converter
3) Get a EX sensor and replace the shorter DX/LX sensor
3) Get an EX exhaust
4) Bolt it up

I hope that this is correct

Old 02-23-2008, 09:10 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Liquidus

Does anyone know if I could bolt on an EX header onto my LX? I would the get an EX catalytic converter and an EX sensor to keep everything warranty trouble free.

Edit- Okay if everything fits like I think it will this is what I'm going to do:

1) Replace my DX/LX header with a DC Sports 4-2-1
2) Get a downpipe that connects the DC header to the catalytic converter
3) Get a EX sensor and replace the shorter DX/LX sensor
3) Get an EX exhaust
4) Bolt it up

I hope that this is correct
Sounds pretty good to me. You could just extend the o2 sensor instead.. I've heard it could be less of a hassle. But yeah, everything should bolt up just fine. Since in the LX's, the cat is build into the header, so the plan you have will work sufficently.

Old 02-23-2008, 09:11 AM

Sweet, that's what I like to hear

EDIT- Well after reading about 100 pages of threads I think that I am going to need to get a 4-1 header instead of the original 4-2-1 like I planned. The reason behind this is that I want to have a catalytic converter and don't really want to go to a shop for a custom job, I'd rather bolt everything up myself.

So this is how it's going to look:

1. DC Sports 4-1 Header, I hope that this directly bolts up to number 2 below...

2. Then I'll bolt Random Tech Catalytic Converter:

3. Which will be finished of with, either a Magnaflow, Greddy Evo 2, or DC exhaust.

Should run about $1100 give or take. The only question(s) I have left is about the o2 sensors, I know that the DX/LX model has one right on the header/cat so I'll need to extend that but (not sure about this one) the EX has 2 o2 sensors?

I'll be picking up a Haynes repair manual on Monday. I can't wait to get my Civic on Tuesday.

For the last piece of this puzzle I'll be adding a V2 intake for a DX/LX and then a few years down the road I'll get a A2 head and do the mini me. Until then I'll be beefing up the suspension, audio, and throw some 17's on there.

EDIT 2- One more question, I've read a thread on Page 76 or 75, whatever and the guy was saying that his shop couldn't install any of his parts because the DX/LX's sway bars had clearing issues...well here's the thread.

Old 02-23-2008, 09:08 PM
HCF Member

Yeah.. Its not the cheapest setup, but its well worth it. I have a link somewhere on how-to extend the sensor, i'll try to find it and post it when I get a chance to find it.

Sounds good, though. Thats more or less what i'm doing. I got all the audio/interior mods I want for now. Now i'm going to be getting 17" Exel SPEED 5-spoke gunmetal rims, with some Toyo tires, mid-march, then after that, or.. Before that, i'm gonna get my AEM V2, so I have a little something to play with in traffic lol.. But, I know for sure, over the summer i'm definately gonna get my 4-1 Megan Racing Header, Random Tech High-Flow cat, and Apexi WS2 exhaust. I'll probably get the Header next month or so, since its only about $150, and just get the rest as I go.

But, a little advice if you havn't done so yet. Youtube some videos of the exhausts you want and see what sounds good. For the longest time, I was tied up with GReedy SP2 and Apexi WS2, and I favored Apexi WS2 a little more, because I liked the sound a little more, and its a tad cheaper. But, everyone has their own likes and dislikes.

I hope things go well installing, tell me how hard it is, because i'm gonna have to do it too :P.

Old 02-24-2008, 05:13 AM

Yeah I saw your link about the sensor extenders, definitely going to pick some up when I get everything. Anyways I'm still kind of blind on the differences between the DX and EX sensors. On the DX is there one at the header and one at the catalytic converter or is there just one compared to the DX? I would check under the hood but I'm getting my car on Tuesday.