Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Ok, So i read the Exhaust FAQ and Header FAQ and i still have a question.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 03:31 PM
HCF Member
Default Ok, So i read the Exhaust FAQ and Header FAQ and i still have a question.

Ok.. so i bought my car off an incredibly stupid kid in ohio who had shops do a ton of work on it, and doesn't know anything of what was done... so since i bought it i've been finding out more and more what it has.. but i've hit a bump in the road.. When i bought it he did manage to remember to tell me he just put a catback on it.
So i put it up on the ramps today to look at the Catalytic Converter because i'm replacing the header and possibly the catalytic converter.. and i noticed a few things.. first off it's rusted to h*ll on the cat.. second, the cover over the cat literally had rusted off almost entirely.. It was hanging on by threads so i ripped it off (it was making a really annoying rattling sound when i drive).. Soo how can i tell if the Cat is stock or aftermarket???
I was planning on either getting the:
Kamikaze 4-2-1 Two Piece Ceramic Header
OR
Megan Racing 4-2-1 Header.. (Do they sell that as two piece?)

From my research on here, i've found the 2 piece will be easier to install and ceramic will keep the engine bay cooler.. and correct me if i'm wrong.. but i need not only the catBACK but also an aftermarket CAT to help with emmissions tests and pollution? With this being said.. what would you guys suggest i do to A. find out if the cat on there is stock and B. what cat should i get, in respect to the 2 headers listed, if i need one?

Old 04-14-2008, 04:08 PM
Snail'n Admin
Default RE: Ok, So i read the Exhaust FAQ and Header FAQ and i still have a question.

sigh...kamikaze is fail. Get the megan racing header, im pretty sure they make it in 2 piece, depending on your engine, but just replace the cat with a magnaflow cat.

Old 04-14-2008, 04:34 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Ok, So i read the Exhaust FAQ and Header FAQ and i still have a question.

okie dokie. I actually was leaning towards the megan until i saw the kamikaze listed on the Header FAQ as a good header.. but i'll go with the Megan.. now for the Magnaflow Cat. I have a 99 Civic EX Engine: d16y8... First off how do i know if the Cat Converter is stock already and 2nd does it matter if i get a highflow cat or just regular with the aftermarket header? I found this.. http://www.partsamerica.com/productd...45&PTSet=A But obviously it's not highflow

Old 04-14-2008, 05:02 PM
HCF Member

high flow cat is good for like 2-3hp increase with upgraded header

Old 04-14-2008, 05:05 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: GReddy_Civic

sigh...kamikaze is fail. Get the megan racing header, im pretty sure they make it in 2 piece, depending on your engine, but just replace the cat with a magnaflow cat.
DO not go with a 2 piece
*edit*

Old 04-14-2008, 05:29 PM
HCF Member

Macbeth do you care to elaborate on why the 2 piece is bad? I was under the impression it was easier to install.. nothing bad about it was mentioned in the FAQ's or the header install guide.

Old 04-14-2008, 06:19 PM
HCF Member

Sure, 2 piece areeasier to install and fit in there because you can bolt togehter in the middle (attach one piece to the block, the other to the mid-pipe, and then bolt them together in the engine bay) however from what i hear and read most people actually just bolt the two pieces together and then install it.
The reason I was saying the one piece would be a better choice is because it has slightly better flow that the two piece because of no flange disrupting flow. That's all.
I didn't mean for it to sounds like the two piece is horrible, lol
my bad about that.

Old 04-14-2008, 07:15 PM

I think the megan 4-2-1 header only comes in 2 piece. Make sure you use lock-tite or whatever on the bolts, especially the ones on the two-piece joint. Mine came off by themselves, blew the gasket, and I had a hell of a day fixing it all without those bolts it came with. I had to go to Ace Hardware and buy different bolts and lock nuts and lock washers and it was a pain.

Also, it's easier to put together outside of the car, that way you can use a plain wrench on the o2 sensor instead of renting the special socket from the auto parts store, and you'll be able to get the joint bolts tightened down better.

And about the cat, you should buy a high-flow one, it's worth it. I don't think they make a direct fit one for your civic, so you'll have to buy a universal one and have an exhaust shop weld it on.

Old 04-15-2008, 06:47 PM
HCF Member

ok guys thanks for all the help.. 1 more quick question.. how do i tell the diff. between a reg. magnaflow cat and highflow?? i looked on several websites and i haven't seen Highflow advertised.. incudling on Magnaflow's page.. anyone know Model #'s?

Old 12-31-2023, 09:12 PM

I get it. Things are getting clearer.