Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

New Header - Idle trouble and misfiring

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 07:07 PM
HCF Member
Default New Header - Idle trouble and misfiring

Just installed a new Megan Racing header yesterday and it worked great for a day, well I should say I didn't really notice a problem.

But today, I've had issues with the idle RPM being to low ( it's idling at 800 instead of 1,000 ), the engine will occasionally jerk while it is idling and the RPM will dip then jump and sometimes die.

Then if I sit there and rev it or accelerate down the road, it will occassionally "misfire" above 3,000 RPM.

All my sensors are correctly installed and there is no check engine light. - CORRECTION - Now my check engine light has turned on, I've reset it several times and double checked my sensors.

My estimation is that I need to maybe have it tuned a little bit? I've had several performance parts added to my car...

I'm going to take it to get the code read so I can find out what the problem is, maybe have someone check over my install. These headers seem extremely large compared to the stock ones, almost twice the diameter. Think they could have made them too large?

Old 08-19-2007, 07:08 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: New Header - Idle trouble and misfiring

those "several performance parts" in your signature do not warrant a tune. those are still minor mods. anyways, during the install, did you disconnect the negative battery terminal to let the car's computer readjust?

Old 08-19-2007, 07:10 PM
HCF Member

Yes. I did make sure to unplug the battery to ensure that it reset.

Old 08-19-2007, 09:29 PM
HCF Member

Is there any leaks in your exhaust? the header flange or collector may have a leaky gasket. also, did you have trouble getting the header and exhaust to match up? you might have made a leak somewhere trying to force it together. it happened to me before, so don't think i am calling you an idiot. I have done too many stupid things to list here...

Old 08-20-2007, 05:54 AM
HCF Member

Havn't had a chance to check for leaks yet, but I'm going to. Also, if the company made the header too large, would that be the reason for issues? i.e. not enough back pressure?

Old 08-20-2007, 06:42 AM
HCF Member

Did you install it yourself or have a professional do it

Old 08-20-2007, 06:44 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: mahlum

Havn't had a chance to check for leaks yet, but I'm going to. Also, if the company made the header too large, would that be the reason for issues? i.e. not enough back pressure?
https://www.hondacivicforum.com/m_39893/tm.htmread.

Old 08-20-2007, 07:24 AM

Sounds like a leak for sure. Is there significantloss of torque?

Old 08-20-2007, 07:27 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: KoshaK

Did you install it yourself or have a professional do it
Had a professional install it, but they put the O2 sensor in the stock location, instead of near the top of the header as it located on the Megan header. So I changed that myself. Is there more than 1 O2 sensor?

Thanks for that link. I couldn't imagine Megan Racing making a header DESIGNED for the 7th gen D17A2 then making the pipes too large... I'm calling them as soon as they open in an hour...

Old 08-20-2007, 07:34 AM
HCF Member

I believe there is more than one O2 Sensor...although im not totally sure if it varies from car to car, my dads corevette has 2 I believe, civics probly only have one.......?

Quick Reply: New Header - Idle trouble and misfiring