Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

New intake question

Old 01-23-2007, 08:34 PM
HCF Member
Default New intake question

Hey guys, I am thinking about getting a new intake for my civic. I was looking at this K&N one but it says its for the 2000 Si... I don't like the look of the one for the EX, anyone know if there is a reason that it would not fit on my car? I realize the differences in the Si's engine from the EX's but unless the intake manifold is larger on the Si, I'm not sure why it wouldn't fit my car... Thanks a lot for any help guys.

Craig

here is the intake I was looking at: http://store.knfilters.com/search/pr...x?Prod=57-3512

Old 01-23-2007, 09:23 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: New intake question

that's a gooden'. seriously.

everybody's gonna say AEM V2, but i've read test reviews on that K&N SRI and it adds some serious wheel horsepower according to the dyno runs i've seen.

i know you have a civic, but the WRX i saw it tested on gained 17 whp and 18 ft-lb of torque.

that's rediculous for a short ram intake. part of the reason has to do the tunability of the WRX's turbo engine, but the intake's design also plays into the dramatic increase.

the filter is top notch and the shroud blocks off engine heat from the filter's intake - cooling the intake charge, meaning greater horsepower.

buy it.

Old 01-23-2007, 10:49 PM
MTK

ORIGINAL: drbyers

that's a gooden'. seriously.

everybody's gonna say AEM V2, but i've read test reviews on that K&N SRI and it adds some serious wheel horsepower according to the dyno runs i've seen.

i know you have a civic, but the WRX i saw it tested on gained 17 whp and 18 ft-lb of torque.

that's rediculous for a short ram intake. part of the reason has to do the tunability of the WRX's turbo engine, but the intake's design also plays into the dramatic increase.

the filter is top notch and the shroud blocks off engine heat from the filter's intake - cooling the intake charge, meaning greater horsepower.

buy it.
And I'll be one of those that say V2...It'll be a little more than the K&N, but from my experience, it's worth it...HP gains are noticable, and if your into a better sounding car (which I really don't care, but its a lot nicer than what my stock air box sounded like), the V2 screams once your Vtec kicks in...

what year is you civic?

Old 01-23-2007, 10:53 PM
HCF Member

It's a 2000, sorry. Yeah, the cheap-o AutoZone intake I have on it now sounds real nice when the Vtec kicks in, but I guess I was looking for something that might get me some real power gains and bring in some colder air to the engine...

Old 01-23-2007, 11:00 PM
MTK

Yea so is mine...the V2 for 6th generation is a CAI, but with different diameter piping, huge cone, ect, so its main purpose is to suck in cold air....it'sexcellent with HP gains for a civic, but don't expect gains from what drbyers got from the WRX...

Old 01-23-2007, 11:08 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: cmfmets

It's a 2000, sorry. Yeah, the cheap-o AutoZone intake I have on it now sounds real nice when the Vtec kicks in, but I guess I was looking for something that might get me some real power gains and bring in some colder air to the engine...
look into a Comptech icebox system, generally regarded as the best intake system out there alongside Mugen hybrid systems.

the only downsides are cost$$$ and the system is near OEM quiet because it doesn't use metal piping. it uses an enclosed box system that has plastic piping that goes down into the front bumper area, sucking in cold air.

Old 01-23-2007, 11:21 PM
HCF Member

I'll be the one to say get the ebay brand.

Old 01-23-2007, 11:26 PM
HCF Member

Ah, yeah, those are nice intakes... unfortunately, a little out of my price range (currently a somewhat broke college student....just paid for books and this semesters tuition lol). I found some on ebay that are the same as right from AEM, but are about $100+ less so heres to hoping when my birthday comes around or tax money comes back I can find one on there... Thanks, if anyone else has input, please feel free... I need to get a new filter no matter what, but I want to replace the crappy looking pipe in there with something nice... So I'm open to any suggestions. Thanks a lot guys!

Old 01-23-2007, 11:40 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: drbyers

ORIGINAL: cmfmets

look into a Comptech icebox system, generally regarded as the best intake system out there alongside Mugen hybrid systems.

the only downsides are cost$$$ and the system is near OEM quiet because it doesn't use metal piping. it uses an enclosed box system that has plastic piping that goes down into the front bumper area, sucking in cold air.
im not 100% sure, but i dont think they offer one for the d-series. and the cool thing about the comptech one is, you can pull the icebox off, and just run it as a short ram. as a short ram, its actually really loud, but its deeper and less tingy than a lot of other ones ive had. i havent had a chance to actually put the icebox on yet, but supposedly it is a lot quieter, and makes noticeably more power than just the short ram. Ill probably put it on this week, so ill let you know how much quieter it is. and yeah, its expensive as hell.

Old 01-24-2007, 02:13 AM
HCF Member

well i would say V2, but since your broke go with the original AEM CAI

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New intake question