Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

New intake question

Old 01-24-2007, 08:26 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: New intake question

ORIGINAL: sacicons

ORIGINAL: drbyers

ORIGINAL: cmfmets

It's a 2000, sorry. Yeah, the cheap-o AutoZone intake I have on it now sounds real nice when the Vtec kicks in, but I guess I was looking for something that might get me some real power gains and bring in some colder air to the engine...
look into a Comptech icebox system, generally regarded as the best intake system out there alongside Mugen hybrid systems.

the only downsides are cost$$$ and the system is near OEM quiet because it doesn't use metal piping. it uses an enclosed box system that has plastic piping that goes down into the front bumper area, sucking in cold air.
im not 100% sure, but i dont think they offer one for the d-series. and the cool thing about the comptech one is, you can pull the icebox off, and just run it as a short ram. as a short ram, its actually really loud, but its deeper and less tingy than a lot of other ones ive had. i havent had a chance to actually put the icebox on yet, but supposedly it is a lot quieter, and makes noticeably more power than just the short ram. Ill probably put it on this week, so ill let you know how much quieter it is. and yeah, its expensive as hell.
hey sac, where'd you get the icebox from?

i thought about getting one but my INJEN fell into my lap for $75 so i couldn't pass that up.

Old 01-24-2007, 09:03 AM
Administrator

K&N you are paying for the filter. go for the V2 you are paying for superior piping AND a superior dry-flow filter

V2 ftw biotch

Old 01-24-2007, 09:17 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: blackmetal619

well i would say V2, but since your broke go with the original AEM CAI
unless you get the V2 or the Icebox, the intakes are generally all the same (pipe-wise). I say cheap ebay intake + K&N Filter or AEM Dryflow filter (the ebay filters are horrible), since youre basically paying for the name brand metal pipe from AEM

Old 01-24-2007, 03:58 PM
HCF Member

hmm...i have lots of respect for the V2 and icebox. They're both wicked cool and net great gains. From talking to people that have had both, ive seen people go about 50/50 about which one they liked more. I don't have exhaust so liked the little bit of sound the V2 puts out.

Old 01-24-2007, 05:27 PM
HCF Member

really, either isnt going to make that much difference. i think the v2 looks better but thats just me. i have read a ton of good things about them but i know k&n is good to. basically, whatever u want. i just favor aem.

Old 01-24-2007, 06:23 PM
HCF Member

Yeah, its looking like I'm either going to replace the short ram I have with an AEM one, or just wait until I get my tax refund and see if I can afford a V2. I can afford the short ram now if I find one on ebay, but if I can manage the extra $$, I would rather not just replace a short ram with another short ram, you know? I want to get cooler air into the engine so I'm thinking the V2 is the way to go (I'll def be checking ebay first tho, cause they are about $100 less than from AEM brand new... at least the ones I've seen). Thanks for all your input guys, I appreciate it! I'll let you know what I decide to do when the time comes.

Old 02-24-2007, 01:33 AM
HCF Member

Well, I had my heart set on ordering an AEM V2 system when I got my tax refund, but I also really needed tires for my 17" rims so I decided since i have a short ram already, I would get the tires and when I start working again, Ill save $$ for the intake this summer or something. I ordered my tires from TireRack.com and I was going to get the Kumho ECSTA SPT but I ended up getting the General Exclaim UHP because they were rated much better, esp in the treadwear dept, which is important, and they were a little cheaper too (which is always good for college kids like me haha). Thanks for all the help with the intake question, Ill let you guys know when I finally get it...

Craig