Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Noisy Megan Header...help please

Old 01-09-2008, 08:48 AM
HCF Member
Default Noisy Megan Header...help please

OK, I've had my Megan Racing 4-2-1 stainless steel header for about half a year now. At any rpm's below 3k it basically sounds like a tractor. I know the puping is much thinner than the stock manifold/header that was on my car, but I didn't think it would be this bad. I don't think it's a gasket problem either, as it has sounded like this since I put it on. I've also checked and there isn't any gasses leaking from any of the gaskets.

Basically, my question is - Do megan headers always make your car sound like a tractor, and if so how can I quiet it down? I've looked into header wrap (like something from DEI), but almost everything I have read says when you wrap a header you will basically destroy the header because none of the heat can get out anymore and it will basically slowly destroy the header.

Any suggestions on what to do?

Thanks in advance,

Evan

Old 01-09-2008, 09:56 AM
Super Cereal Admin
Default RE: Noisy Megan Header...help please

you're positive you don't have an exhaust leak anywhere? Did you re-use the stock donut gasket with the new header (something I almost forgot to do lol)? There's no way Megan's headers would be anywhere near as popular as they are if they sounded like that.

And on a street car, you don't have to worry about melting your header; you'll be fine if you wrap it. It's purpose-built race cars that usually end up melting wrapped headers (though I've seen a video of a civic on a dyno where the header started glowing, but that car was a beast).

Old 01-09-2008, 01:19 PM
HCF Member

I did use the old donut gasket. It basically sounds like it's leaking somewhere either where the two header pieces connect or where the header connects to the block, but both of those gaskets were brand new. I've tried taking it all off (they are still in fine condition) and reconnecting it, so i don't know what in the world is up. I guess I'll try buying all new gaskets, then if that doesn't solve it I'll go with the wrap.

If you have any other ideas let me know!

Thanks,

Evan

Old 01-09-2008, 01:33 PM
Recognized HCF Member

does your rear header have the spring bolts on it?

i sold my friend that cheap header i got and he reused his spring bolts and the cheap donute gasket.... ended up blowing out the donute gasket within afew hours of driving....
he ended up buying a new gasket and we deleted his spring bolts and so far..... no leaks...
tho the header i put on my 99civic i used spring bolts and it isnt leaking yet... but my 94with stock header i just bolted it solid as well and so far its not leaking.

just depends how well the header lines up with your stock piping...
tho neither of mine sound like a tractor.LOL

Old 01-12-2008, 04:40 PM
HCF Member

Good news - I figured out what was wrong. It turns out the gasket that connects the 4 primaries to the downpipe section of the header was completely fried on one side.

Now my question is...Where can I find that type of gasket? I've checked all over the internet (ebay, megans racing site, DC sports site...etc) and I can't find that type of gasket for sale anywhere...

Any great ideas of places to look?

Old 01-12-2008, 08:18 PM

goto napa or something and just get some exhaust donuts..