Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Password jdm powerchamber vs SRI

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 09:09 PM
HCF Member
Default Password jdm powerchamber vs SRI

A guy in town is wanting to get rid of his password jdm intake aka the "whales *****" lol and is wanting a standard polished SRI, which I have, so we've been talking about trading. I'm aware of what it supposedly does n stuff but my only concern is will the difference in air cause it to run lean? Or affect my mpg? Or will it be unnoticeable? I was just curious cause I had my car tuned (with my SRI) a while back. Haven't really found a solid answer so I figured I would ask.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:07 AM

You will not run lean at all. You have an ECU that can adjust A/F ratios slightly if needed. Also, with the same throttle body, you are not going to be taking in anymore air than you were before so any gains you think you are going to get will probably not happen unless it is in your head.

You had a car tuned for an intake? not sure if I believe that. Who tuned it and what ECU are you running? People normally do not "tune" (like actually getting the car on a dyno, chipping an ECU, and paying someone to adjust fuel levels) for an intake that will net them 5-10 hp with tuning.

Lastly, the whale ***** is known to actually decrease power due to the design. Yes, it looks semi-cool. If you want it, go for it I guess.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:37 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by cvcrcr99
You will not run lean at all. You have an ECU that can adjust A/F ratios slightly if needed. Also, with the same throttle body, you are not going to be taking in anymore air than you were before so any gains you think you are going to get will probably not happen unless it is in your head.

You had a car tuned for an intake? not sure if I believe that. Who tuned it and what ECU are you running? People normally do not "tune" (like actually getting the car on a dyno, chipping an ECU, and paying someone to adjust fuel levels) for an intake that will net them 5-10 hp with tuning.

Lastly, the whale ***** is known to actually decrease power due to the design. Yes, it looks semi-cool. If you want it, go for it I guess.
I'm not expecting any numbers or anything. i was just wondering if that would affect the car at all .. as for the tune, no it wanst tuned just for the intake lol sorry i should have been more clearer, i meant that i had it tuned, with the intake on, along with everything else, for better fuel consumption since over in japan they run a standard of 100 octane.

as for the decrease in power, would you mind elaborating on that? im just curious

Last edited by jayrdee; 05-14-2012 at 07:40 AM.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by jayrdee
I'm not expecting any numbers or anything. i was just wondering if that would affect the car at all .. as for the tune, no it wanst tuned just for the intake lol sorry i should have been more clearer, i meant that i had it tuned, with the intake on, along with everything else, for better fuel consumption since over in japan they run a standard of 100 octane.

as for the decrease in power, would you mind elaborating on that? im just curious
"along with everything..." meaning what? Where did Japan conversation come from? Japan has nothing to do with anything from what I am reading.

Find dyno charts. Many people talk about it not being beneficial.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:00 AM
HCF Member

"everything else" = my setup is a jdm b18c with Intake headers and exhaust

I mention Japan because that is where the motor is from and the previous owner never got it tuned so it wasn't running as good as it could have been. So therefore I got it tuned to get better fuel consumption. The I/H/E was already on the car too. which led me to the question, will the different shaped intake affect the car? but based on the information I'm getting/finding out, it won't do very much.

Last edited by jayrdee; 05-14-2012 at 10:33 AM.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:48 AM

Goooootcha.. I didn't know you had a jdm swap or w/e. They do not necessarily need tunes, but it isn't a bad idea if you are looking for the most power you can squeeze.

I have the same sort of set-up with the jdm h22 and the S300 ECU.

As far as the intake, if you are not planning on doing much more for the car (performance wise), and you like the look if it much better, I would go for it, even if there is a possibility of losing 1-2 hp or so.

Old 05-14-2012, 12:31 PM
HCF Member

I think I'm going to. Especially since its basically only going to cost me 40$ lol Sorry for the vagueness, I was at school on my iPod so it was hard to be very detailed.