Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

question about flat air filter vs. cone air filter with intake kit

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 11:00 AM
Default question about flat air filter vs. cone air filter with intake kit

Hello so my car is a 1998 Honda Civic LX and I've looked up air filters for it and the flat panel air filter is the only one that can fit. My friend recommends me to get a cone air filter with intake kit for better air flow and adds more HP.

The brand I'm looking at is K&N because I've heard a lot of good things about them and really I would like to know if it's worth it to get the K&N intake kit for my car which is around $200 vs the flat panel one that's $40. There is a huge difference in prices so is this intake kit really worth it based on what my car gains? I'm no racer, my friend is, but if this intake is really that much better than the flat panel air filter then I might consider buying it.

It will probably be cheaper though since my friend said he's able to make me an intake with cone filter for under $100 ( he says it's illegal but he doesn't think any cop is going to look under my hood if its just a stock ). Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Old 02-24-2011, 04:09 PM
Cat Fuсker

Are you from california? If so - it would be illegal. I wouldn't waste my money on an intake, but you could just buy a generic one on ebay for $20 and get a K&N dryflow filter for whatever it goes for and it would be just as good... you're not going to get any noticable gain on that LX anyway.

Old 02-24-2011, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by StifflersMom
Are you from california? If so - it would be illegal. I wouldn't waste my money on an intake, but you could just buy a generic one on ebay for $20 and get a K&N dryflow filter for whatever it goes for and it would be just as good... you're not going to get any noticable gain on that LX anyway.
yea im from cali and thank you for the reply I think that is a better choice financially :P

edit: for the generic one do you mean generic intake kit? If I go with the flat panel $40 K&N air filter would I need an intake kit for it to install it or is the generic intake kit just to add better performance?

Last edited by kenji51590; 02-24-2011 at 04:20 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:45 PM
Cat Fuсker

If you're from Cali than your options are limited. It's not the cops you need to be worried about - you won't pass CARB with parts that aren't compliant. I think that my info may be outdated, but the only intake that was CARB certified (and came with the appropriate sticker) was the AEM V2.

Old 02-24-2011, 04:53 PM

If you're from Cali than your options are limited. It's not the cops you need to be worried about - you won't pass CARB with parts that aren't compliant. I think that my info may be outdated, but the only intake that was CARB certified (and came with the appropriate sticker) was the AEM V2.
o my god that is way too expensive for a non racer person like me! I think I might just stick with sticking in the K&N regular air filter and keep my current tubing :]

Old 02-24-2011, 04:57 PM
Cat Fuсker

LOL. I'm glad I can be of assistance. Stick with a flat panel. Use the difference in price for things like new plugs, cap, rotor, and a new fuel filter. Your wallet will thank you at the pump

Old 02-24-2011, 05:24 PM

LOL. I'm glad I can be of assistance. Stick with a flat panel. Use the difference in price for things like new plugs, cap, rotor, and a new fuel filter. Your wallet will thank you at the pump
not only at the pump but at your posts as well ;]