Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

sorry guys,another test pipe ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 11:10 AM
Question sorry guys,another test pipe ?

ok im about to redo the exaust on my car and i been researchin like hell tryen to make sure i know everything i can about it. My question is that if i put a test pipe on 2or 2.25 piping to a twin loop exaust,how is this gonna sound im sure it will flow good but im lookin for a queiter but ballsy sound,i dont wont it to be loud and rattle or be raspy,ne help would be greatly appreciated.Im aware of smog with test pipes but what about the sound i heard they sound worst then a high flow cat???thinks for the help guys

Old 08-01-2008, 09:47 PM

test pipes are hella raspy sounding.
and think of your kids or future kids air when considering it.
read this info in this link. polluting the world worse than already is not worth the extra 1hp.
http://www.importtuner.com/features/...val/index.html

Old 08-01-2008, 10:29 PM

i had read that and a few other articles,i believe in fresh air i was looking for somethin temporary i was sure it would make it raspy so i figured id ask because the converter also has alot to do with the tone and everything of ur exaust dont it,appreciate the help man

Old 08-01-2008, 10:36 PM

i went through my test pipe phase. i couldn't afford a new cat, didn't know that much about my car yet, and i was recommended it by someone so i followed their advice. It made my exhaust sound like crap and when i replaced it with a Magnaflow direct-fit high-flow cat i was amazed by how much my tone and raspiness improved over that of with the test pipe.

Old 08-01-2008, 10:37 PM

and i didn't feel guilty anymore about polluting once i switched to the high-flow cat. I just felt like it was the wrong thing to do (using the test pipe)

Old 08-02-2008, 10:39 AM

yeah i feel ya man,im tryen to go cheap as i can right now but im not slacken on quality if i can help it,i will get a high flow cat then im just lookin for my car to breathe the extra 1hp never was the sellin point it was the price but that didnt hurt u know,im just gonna do the cat to the twinloop exaust,i been looking at what size piping i need what would u recoment i have a d16y7 5 speed im puting a vtech have on it,i have a aem cold air intake but the vetech mototr i have it is a d15b ima take the head,crank,and intake manifold off and put it on my d16...sound better?i know a few people that know a good bit about hondas but its hard to get with them between there family and jobs but i would appreciat ethe help."i would like to turbo but i dont see it being at the top of my list right now,i can worry about exaust in the future if i decide to"

Old 08-02-2008, 11:55 AM

i'd recommend 2.25" piping for your application, maybe 2.5" or larger for turbo
the mini-me swap sounds good

By the way, the cheap ebay test pipes rust out bad. Stainless steel my ***.

Old 08-02-2008, 01:00 PM

thats cool man i appreciate the help man im gonna get on that here soon i will let yall know how it goes

Old 08-02-2008, 10:12 PM
HCF Member

If you get a test pipe, at least get a decent one. Like megan sells a 'high-flow' test pipe for about $125, if that. I can't afford the $300 Random tech high-flow cat right now, so i'm going with the Megan one. I've heard numerous people say it sounds better than just an ebay testpipe, and the quality is just better and won't rust like the ebay ones. Megan makes pretty good stuff, so I don't think i'm too worried about bad quality.

If I don't like it, i'll learn my lesson and have to live with it until I can afford the Random tech high flow cat.

Old 08-02-2008, 10:14 PM

^^dude, a magnaflow high flow cat is like 90 bucks. go to summitracing.com and get the direct fit kind.

Quick Reply: sorry guys,another test pipe ?