Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

SOS!! Help with my CAI problem please

  #1  
Old 03-14-2012, 12:02 AM
HCF Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sri Lanka
Posts: 89
Default SOS!! Help with my CAI problem please

dear experts and advisors,

i got a JDM 1999/2000 Civic EK3 - Non Vtec

I had fixed the K&N cone filter 4 years ago. And recently i noticed that hot air from the radiator directly flows to the filter

Also the filter get dirty with a bit of grease etc too

How can i prevent this?

Or is it ok of this happening?
 
  #2  
Old 03-14-2012, 05:53 AM
cvcrcr99's Avatar
Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: DUB Caeser
Posts: 7,186
Default

I doubt the hot air from the the radiator is really doing anything. I would be more worried about heat from the exhaust manifold.
 
  #3  
Old 03-14-2012, 06:30 AM
WellFedHobo's Avatar
Moderator
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Arkansucks
Posts: 4,939
Default

It sounds like you have a short ram intake, not a cold air intake. The CAI pipe actually goes behind the front bumper cover to pull in cool air that's not from the engine bay.

If the filter has grease on it, that's great. It's doing its job and not letting that mess into the engine. It's a K&N so you can just wash it off and re-oil it, then you're good to go.
 
  #4  
Old 03-14-2012, 05:38 PM
HCF Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sri Lanka
Posts: 89
Default Here are some pics of my engine bay



 
  #5  
Old 03-14-2012, 05:43 PM
HCF Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sri Lanka
Posts: 89
Default

Originally Posted by WellFedHobo View Post
It sounds like you have a short ram intake, not a cold air intake. The CAI pipe actually goes behind the front bumper cover to pull in cool air that's not from the engine bay.

If the filter has grease on it, that's great. It's doing its job and not letting that mess into the engine. It's a K&N so you can just wash it off and re-oil it, then you're good to go.
My worry is there was a rough idling all these days and i had the throttle body cleaned...it was just dark black grease all over it and i suspect its the K&N filter, which has one side covered with light grease
 
  #6  
Old 03-14-2012, 05:45 PM
HCF Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sri Lanka
Posts: 89
Default

Originally Posted by cvcrcr99 View Post
I doubt the hot air from the the radiator is really doing anything. I would be more worried about heat from the exhaust manifold.
K&N says no pressurized air right? and the air which flows from the radiator hitting my K&N worries me. See the engine bay pics i have posted and give your advice.

appreciate alot
 
  #7  
Old 03-14-2012, 06:57 PM
cvcrcr99's Avatar
Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: DUB Caeser
Posts: 7,186
Default

Yes, you have a short ram intake. Again, the 200 degree radiator would be less of a concern compared to the 750+ degree exhaust manifold emitting heat into the engine bay.

When you are moving, the air is circulating, so no worries there. When you are sitting in traffic, the heat can "soak" the intake, but it is not because of your radiator.
 
  #8  
Old 03-14-2012, 07:03 PM
HCF Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sri Lanka
Posts: 89
Default

Originally Posted by cvcrcr99 View Post
Yes, you have a short ram intake. Again, the 200 degree radiator would be less of a concern compared to the 750+ degree exhaust manifold emitting heat into the engine bay.

When you are moving, the air is circulating, so no worries there. When you are sitting in traffic, the heat can "soak" the intake, but it is not because of your radiator.
thank you very much. Point taken...and will think of heat wrap or some other solution

what about the grease build up on the K&N?

one of my friends said to dump it and go for a dry filter saying the K&N is now dumped? :-(
 
  #9  
Old 03-15-2012, 05:48 AM
cvcrcr99's Avatar
Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: DUB Caeser
Posts: 7,186
Default

I know nothing about K&N filters nor do I understand the whole oiling process. I run an AEM Dryflow.

Heat wrap will definitely keep the heat within the exhaust manifold. I have used it before with great success. However, it did cause the exhaust manifold to crack and age prematurely since it was on a daily driven car.
 
  #10  
Old 03-15-2012, 06:09 AM
HCF Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sri Lanka
Posts: 89
Default

Originally Posted by cvcrcr99 View Post
I know nothing about K&N filters nor do I understand the whole oiling process. I run an AEM Dryflow.

Heat wrap will definitely keep the heat within the exhaust manifold. I have used it before with great success. However, it did cause the exhaust manifold to crack and age prematurely since it was on a daily driven car.
thank you...are dry cones better than an oiled? doesnt it takes in more dust?
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SOS!! Help with my CAI problem please


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.