Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

SOS!! Help with my CAI problem please

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 12:02 AM
HCF Member
Default SOS!! Help with my CAI problem please

dear experts and advisors,

i got a JDM 1999/2000 Civic EK3 - Non Vtec

I had fixed the K&N cone filter 4 years ago. And recently i noticed that hot air from the radiator directly flows to the filter

Also the filter get dirty with a bit of grease etc too

How can i prevent this?

Or is it ok of this happening?

Old 03-14-2012, 05:53 AM

I doubt the hot air from the the radiator is really doing anything. I would be more worried about heat from the exhaust manifold.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:30 AM

It sounds like you have a short ram intake, not a cold air intake. The CAI pipe actually goes behind the front bumper cover to pull in cool air that's not from the engine bay.

If the filter has grease on it, that's great. It's doing its job and not letting that mess into the engine. It's a K&N so you can just wash it off and re-oil it, then you're good to go.

Old 03-14-2012, 05:38 PM
HCF Member
Default Here are some pics of my engine bay

Old 03-14-2012, 05:43 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by WellFedHobo
It sounds like you have a short ram intake, not a cold air intake. The CAI pipe actually goes behind the front bumper cover to pull in cool air that's not from the engine bay.

If the filter has grease on it, that's great. It's doing its job and not letting that mess into the engine. It's a K&N so you can just wash it off and re-oil it, then you're good to go.
My worry is there was a rough idling all these days and i had the throttle body cleaned...it was just dark black grease all over it and i suspect its the K&N filter, which has one side covered with light grease

Old 03-14-2012, 05:45 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by cvcrcr99
I doubt the hot air from the the radiator is really doing anything. I would be more worried about heat from the exhaust manifold.
K&N says no pressurized air right? and the air which flows from the radiator hitting my K&N worries me. See the engine bay pics i have posted and give your advice.

appreciate alot

Old 03-14-2012, 06:57 PM

Yes, you have a short ram intake. Again, the 200 degree radiator would be less of a concern compared to the 750+ degree exhaust manifold emitting heat into the engine bay.

When you are moving, the air is circulating, so no worries there. When you are sitting in traffic, the heat can "soak" the intake, but it is not because of your radiator.

Old 03-14-2012, 07:03 PM
HCF Member

Yes, you have a short ram intake. Again, the 200 degree radiator would be less of a concern compared to the 750+ degree exhaust manifold emitting heat into the engine bay.

When you are moving, the air is circulating, so no worries there. When you are sitting in traffic, the heat can "soak" the intake, but it is not because of your radiator.
thank you very much. Point taken...and will think of heat wrap or some other solution

what about the grease build up on the K&N?

one of my friends said to dump it and go for a dry filter saying the K&N is now dumped? :-(

Old 03-15-2012, 05:48 AM

I know nothing about K&N filters nor do I understand the whole oiling process. I run an AEM Dryflow.

Heat wrap will definitely keep the heat within the exhaust manifold. I have used it before with great success. However, it did cause the exhaust manifold to crack and age prematurely since it was on a daily driven car.

Old 03-15-2012, 06:09 AM
HCF Member

I know nothing about K&N filters nor do I understand the whole oiling process. I run an AEM Dryflow.

Heat wrap will definitely keep the heat within the exhaust manifold. I have used it before with great success. However, it did cause the exhaust manifold to crack and age prematurely since it was on a daily driven car.
thank you...are dry cones better than an oiled? doesnt it takes in more dust?

Quick Reply: SOS!! Help with my CAI problem please