Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

The SRS produces more HP than a CAI, wtf.

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2005, 09:15 PM
Default The SRS produces more HP than a CAI, wtf.

CAI
SRS
My car is a 97' Honda Civic EX (Manual), how the heck is a SRS better, I hope it's true, b/c the SRS is a lot cheaper.

Old 07-24-2005, 09:23 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: The SRS produces more HP than a CAI, wtf.

Yeah, I have seen those numbers before. Why would you doubt the numbers? It's AEM's own dyno's. There must be a lot more restriction in the Lx/Dx intakes because the gains for a CAI are far better than the Ex.

Old 07-24-2005, 09:27 PM

I know but the test says that a srs is better for me than an expensive cai system. Can that be.I mean people always say a cai is better.

Old 07-24-2005, 10:41 PM
HCF Member

they are pretty compareable, but dynos are notoriously hard on cold air systems because its hard to simulate the air temp to it. so in the real world, you could expect a little more difference, though you may notice the difference in ambient temp more with the CAI, but im pretty confident that it would still be cooler than the air youre getting in the bay. IMHO, the CAI is still your best bet, and worth th eextra money. but i also think that the AEM SRI is still a great option.

Old 07-24-2005, 11:21 PM

But I can only afford an SRI (do they make any cool noise like the V2), the SRI that is.

Old 07-25-2005, 09:34 AM

SRIs typically work better than CAIs on peak horsepower production. Much for the same reason that the B18C1 switches to short intake runners from long runners for high rpm operation. So you get a little here and give a little there to get it. So an SRI will out produce a CAI on peak but will have to upshift and go into an rpm range where the CAI would be stronger.

If you get a two piece Injen you can experience both systems.

Old 07-25-2005, 10:19 AM
HCF Member

yea but the rpm's where the SRI will out perform CAI is like 8000-9000 range, most people don't even see these rpm's.

Old 07-25-2005, 10:30 AM

you're probably right about that.

I was looking at different dyno charts on different sites and ran across this[sm=insomnia.gif]

respectfully borrowed from ClubRSX

I don't know how scientific they were conducting those tests though[sm=teetertooter.gif]

Old 07-25-2005, 10:37 AM
HCF Member

notice the gain over the entire powerband was almost none on the SRI until like 8000 rpm. CAI experienced gains all through the powerband

Old 07-25-2005, 11:34 AM

But so many people only see peak numbers. [sm=bangbang.gif] Peak hp and tq #'s would be great if we were all running around with CVTs. Most of us still shift though

But you know if I look around I'll find still yet another dynochart that has a "whale *****" style destroying a V2 and vice versa...

Quick Reply: The SRS produces more HP than a CAI, wtf.