Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Test pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 09:36 PM
Default Test pipe?

i was thinkin about getting a test pipe for my 98 civic ex i want performance gains but cant afford a whole exhaust system. so this made the most sense to me would it cause any problems with the o2 sensor or is it after the cat? and is it a recomended upgrade i was just going to get a cheap ebay one dut to it just being a steel pipe but let me know what u guys think!

Old 01-19-2009, 09:56 PM
HCF Member

I have a 00 ex and I just ordered a test pipe off ebay. I took too long to get here so today I went and just punched the cat out. by this I mean I gutted the cat. The test pipe replaces the cat and your 2nd O2 sensor goes in there. if you replace or gut the cat you will more than likely get an engine light with a code reading "catylist effiency below threshhold" nothing to worry about but annoying. if you want my test pipe pm me. otherwise you can just take off the cat and then take out the o2 sensor and get the handle of a shovel or a long handle like a breaker bar and break apart the guts. It gets a little messy but when ur done you have a cheaper pipe test pipe than ebay.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:32 PM
HCF Member

Damn someone find the thread about the truth of test pipes. It was just up the other day. It basically said that on a b16 i think with high flow cat 2hp gain test pipe 3hp gain. leave the cat save our environment

Old 01-19-2009, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by swopey
I have a 00 ex and I just ordered a test pipe off ebay. I took too long to get here so today I went and just punched the cat out. by this I mean I gutted the cat. The test pipe replaces the cat and your 2nd O2 sensor goes in there. if you replace or gut the cat you will more than likely get an engine light with a code reading "catylist effiency below threshhold" nothing to worry about but annoying. if you want my test pipe pm me. otherwise you can just take off the cat and then take out the o2 sensor and get the handle of a shovel or a long handle like a breaker bar and break apart the guts. It gets a little messy but when ur done you have a cheaper pipe test pipe than ebay.
Okay... first of all, the CEL you throw as a result of not having a cat causes the computer to go into limp mode. You are now successfully making less power than before you gutted the cat.
And it's not "more than likely," you WILL throw a CEL.

Without the CEL, test pipes give you ~1hp over a high-flow catalytic converter. It's not worth it. If you're that worried about it, get a Magnaflow direct-fit catalytic converter from summitracing.com.

"Do it right, pay once. Do it wrong, pay twice."

Last edited by trustdestruction; 01-19-2009 at 11:23 PM.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:17 AM
HCF Member

+1^ Just get a high flow cat. A little more money but a lot more useful.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:37 AM
HCF Member

oh and I have a hydrogen generator on my car so I am saving the environment.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:42 AM
HCF Member

^ just spend it on something else. The money isn't worth the gains....

Old 01-20-2009, 08:17 AM
Default hmm

yeah i dont really want a cel. do the high flow cats throw a light and how much would one be? it was only one hp difference from the hi flow but how many from stock? and wouldnt this help gas mileage?

Old 01-20-2009, 08:42 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by jpnolan
Damn someone find the thread about the truth of test pipes. It was just up the other day. It basically said that on a b16 i think with high flow cat 2hp gain test pipe 3hp gain. leave the cat save our environment

You're really wasting your time just changing your Cat unless you do supporting mods aka header , catback. And btw READ THE GOD DAM STICKIES

We've already had another member do a lot of work to his car without reading the Sticky's or taking our advice and now he's had a **** load of problems and has made his car incredibly dangerous. Take your time and do your research IT WILL SAVE YOU MONEY.

Sorry if I sound really angry I just don't want this problem to repeat itself more then once.

Last edited by xsteinbachx; 01-20-2009 at 11:23 AM.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:52 PM
Default yup

i read the stickies man i just wanted some personal opinions on the matter and maybe to clear up some things i may not have understood. will a high flow cat throw a cel? and can i get a link? and i have a dc sports header and am planing on getting a catback later just wanted an upgrade in between. thanks alot

Quick Reply: Test pipe?