Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

What Exhaust piping diameter for a Civic D14A8?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 10:23 AM
Default What Exhaust piping diameter for a Civic D14A8?

Hi guys,

I am looking for a full catback system for my 1998 Honda Civic 3dr Hatch (D14A8 engine). The car is stock apart from a decat pipe and SRI, and I have just recieved my Megan racing manifold too - which looks very promising.

However, I am still running the stock exhaust system from the de-cat pipe backwards (stock muffler, mid-pipe ect.). I have been surfing the net for an aftermarket catback system but have yet to find one in my price range. My limit is around GBP£300 (approx US$570), but that must include the shipping of the item to mainland UK aswell.

My question to you guys is, what are my best options? I have searched this already, but there is nothing on the D14A8 engine, despite it being a very popular model here in the UK. I have tried Ebay.co.uk , but the only options are the crappy Fart-can style systems for about £200 inc P&P! Ebay (USA) seems to list a vast amount of systems, but shipping to the UK is like $250+!! [:@]

There seems to be two types of systems on Ebay, both of which feature a 5.5" muffler with a 4" straight-cut outlet. The difference lies in the piping diameter (2.25", 2.5" and 3.0" (3" is out of the question - Turbo applications only)). Would I be better with 2.5" piping, or would the 2.25" be sufficient? Which would more likely give me best gains in power/sound?

Preferably I'd like the system to have a 3.5" slant-cut tip, but would settle on a 4" if I must. Would my car be too loud with a 4" outlet though, considering I'll be running a racing manifold and decat?

please help guys.... Cheers in advance,

=chris=

Old 08-20-2006, 10:30 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: What Exhaust piping diameter for a Civic D14A8?

Depends on your plans for the car down the road.

If you plan on turbo'ing or supercharging I suggest a 2.5 inch at a bare min.

If you are just adding bolt ons I suggest a 2.25 inch.

Old 08-20-2006, 10:34 AM
HCF Member

And while you're at it, the ozone layer and everyone's respiratory systems would thank you if you put a high flow cat in there instead of a test pipe.

Old 08-20-2006, 11:03 AM
HCF Member

Man it aint hurting the environment to much, there are bigger displacement bikes running around w/o cat's. I mean hell it's only 1400cc's

Old 08-20-2006, 01:56 PM
HCF Member

Try this http://www.exhaustsuk.co.uk

Old 08-20-2006, 04:49 PM
HCF Member

i'd say 2.25 inches.

Old 08-21-2006, 01:13 AM
HCF Member

go 2.25 if you plan on staying n/a

Old 08-21-2006, 02:16 PM
HCF Member

i'd say 2.25 anyway because its such a small displacement engine.

Old 08-22-2006, 04:49 AM

ORIGINAL: pWnEdU

And while you're at it, the ozone layer and everyone's respiratory systems would thank you if you put a high flow cat in there instead of a test pipe.
I suggest you should Look a little closer to home before you slate me and my 1.4 litre hatchback. I think you'll find that any of your fat, vastly over-sized, V8 yank mobiles will put out more crap than mine ever will! Here in the UK we get hammered by taxes if we buy a large displacement car (anything over 3.0ltr now is just too expensive to run - Fuel costs us around GBP£1 per litre - US$1.9 per LITRE), which is why we all tend to drive <2.0ltr cars. You get the rest of the US to do the same and I'll put the Catalytic convertor back on my car.

As for the exhaust diameter, I have been putting a little brainpower into the idea of either building a D16 Turbo engine up from scratch, and swapping them out at some point OR I could turbo the D14. This will however be much further down the line, but is worth taking into consideration as I could re-use the catback for the install. Need to get the rest of the car sorted first though (suspension/brakes mostly).

Oh, and for all you guys thinking the D14 is a small engine - yes, but it isn't exactly slow. The up-side being that it can be turboed with a make-shift turbo setup (T2 turbo) to the region of 200wbhp. Only downside is that there are no turbo kits available for the D14A8, so obiously some experimentation would be required.

=chris=

Old 08-22-2006, 12:24 PM

D14 rods are like toothpicks, no? Or is that D13s?

Quick Reply: What Exhaust piping diameter for a Civic D14A8?