Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

What to replace

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 06:30 PM
HCF Member
Default What to replace

I am thinking of upgrading my stock exhaust for my 94 civic dx sedan but I'm kinda at a loss of what to replace actually...my stock plumbing I believe is about 1 3/4"[correct me if I'm wrong] and I heard on a few other threads that you shouldn't run anything larger than 2 or 2.5..I am looking for a more low tone but still street legal..I'm in texas and these emissions test are lame..and finally I was considering getting a high flow magnaflow cat to go with my new kit..should I pop for the new header too or would it be ok with the stock..I'm willing to spend a chunk of cash if needed but I just want to buy the right stuff..hopefully some of the experts on here can shine some light on this for me..I have a general idea of what I want but I don't want to spend 600 bucks on a full exhaust system and fail...any advise will be helpful..

Old 02-24-2012, 05:42 AM

Are you looking for just sound? If so, pick up a cat back exhaust kit and call it a day. If you are looking for performance gains, you can get all of that stuff, but expect to only see like 2-3 hp extra.

Old 02-24-2012, 12:21 PM
HCF Member

Thanks for the reply 99...that's pretty much it...I don't want to spend a lot of cash for just a few extra ponys..could you recommend a few brands for exhaust kits? My last question was that if I replace the exhaust cat back do I have to replace the header and cat aswell??...I've just been on ebay..

Old 02-24-2012, 12:26 PM

eBay is fine as long as you shop for name brand parts. If you purchase a cat back exhaust, you would retain the OEM header and OEM cat converter. Everything after the cat converter would be replaced.

What is your budget?

My initial suggestion is Apexi WS2, however, that can run in upwards of $500. The cheaper "version" of the Apexi WS2 is the Yonaka exhaust kit, usually running about $250 shipped. Go to youtube and search for exhaust clips on Civics to see what you like the best out of everything offered.

I would recommend getting all new bolts and rubber hangers while you are replacing everything.

Old 02-24-2012, 06:00 PM
HCF Member

Cool..thanks for the info...i didn't want to spend more than 500..your a big help...I didn't know if I should replace the header too but if I can bolt on a cat back kit I'm in...thanks again..

Old 02-25-2012, 05:39 AM

Let us know what you end up buying! You can also always go to a shop with a muffler of your choice and they can weld something up for you if you do not want to purchase the kits that on selling on eBay etc.

Old 02-27-2012, 05:08 AM
HCF Member

That's what I was originally going to do...I was going to get a OBX-R muffler and have a shop weld it up but I saw some holes in my exhaust pipes and I figured id look into a kit...I tried to find a Apexi kit for my car but no luck...I did find a Yonaka kit tho so I'm probably go that route..