Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

For you guys worried about CAI's

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 10:05 AM
mxs
HCF Member
Default RE: For you guys worried about CAI's

Well when we talk about hydrolock, we make the point that you have to drive through 16-18" of water to submerge the filter and hydrolock the engine. You said 'I drove through 4" and it was fine!' -- of course it would be fine.

I'm not arguing, maybe I'm missing your point but I don't understand what the "food for thought" is here. the fact that you can drive through 4" of water and not hydrolock your engine, is not really news.

Old 09-02-2006, 12:17 PM
HCF Member

I for the life of me think you would about have to be trying to hydrolock your car.

Old 09-02-2006, 01:01 PM

I was concerned about that after installing mine, I am most likely going to buy an air bypass valve anyways just a little more security

Old 09-03-2006, 11:23 AM
HCF Member

It just seems like most people that stray away from CAI's are doing it because of either A: cost or B: they live in a rainy climate.

And I'm just trying to remind people that you have to be driving through a pond to hurt anything.

And 4" of water doesn't mean that you're simply wading through 4". When you drive through 4" of water at any speed, there is a lot of watter splashing up under the car from the tires.

But if you're driving through 18" of water, you've got some serious issues...

Old 09-03-2006, 11:37 AM
HCF Member

I took my SRI off my 04 LX because it would literally scare the crap out of me when I would drive in the rain... and I live in Oregon! The engine would shake my whole car and it would totally bog down... AND NO ONE CAN TELL ME WHY!!! No one seems to have an 04 LX sedan with a SRI that has problems... I feel so alone with this!!! Is a SRI more exposed than a CAI? My SRI literally sat next to the engine floating over nothing but pavement... I see other civics that have the SRIs over the wheel well but I have a battery in that place.

Old 09-05-2006, 03:53 PM

I have a friend who had a ractive sri and hydro locked the car with a short ram he had a 7th gen sedan he put the piston rod out threw the block it was a sad moment on the highway

Old 09-05-2006, 04:14 PM
mxs
HCF Member

Hydrolocked with a short ram intake? Was he driving through a lake??

Old 09-05-2006, 04:54 PM
HCF Member

I saw someone hydrolock making splashies in a parking lot lake that they didn't realize was three feet deep. It was amusing.

Old 09-06-2006, 12:36 AM

Lol @ hydrolocking with a short ram.

Old 09-06-2006, 07:17 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

ORIGINAL: TheMoogly

I took my SRI off my 04 LX because it would literally scare the crap out of me when I would drive in the rain... and I live in Oregon! The engine would shake my whole car and it would totally bog down... AND NO ONE CAN TELL ME WHY!!! No one seems to have an 04 LX sedan with a SRI that has problems... I feel so alone with this!!! Is a SRI more exposed than a CAI? My SRI literally sat next to the engine floating over nothing but pavement... I see other civics that have the SRIs over the wheel well but I have a battery in that place.
Sounds more like a distributor problem to me..

Quick Reply: For you guys worried about CAI's