Inside and Out Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

Aftermarket lights or stock?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 03:37 PM
HCF Member
Default Aftermarket lights or stock?

I have an 02 DX, don't really like the headlights.. I purchased some silver stars and put those in, made it easier to see but still don't like the housing. I like the looks of Mill$ halo's... but this is where I will become a noob.. Please define:

-- Halos (I understand that there is a ring with LEDs that creates a halo effect. Are they on all the time, just as parking lights, street legal??)
-- Projectors
-- HID (I believe it stands for high intensity discharge, not a big fan of the looks and I hate it when people have them and are coming at me, so I don't want to do that to others.. plus $$$$$!)

What are some suggestions/prices/where to buy, and what will I need to do to install / can I use my silverstars still?

Old 06-29-2006, 04:00 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Aftermarket lights or stock?

Okay, the halos turn on as soon as you have your driving lights on. When you turn on your headlights they are still on, but get drowned out by the lights of the headlights... especially if you have HIDs. The halos only come with projectors... projectors are the same looking ones on newer BMWs... aftermarket ones on civics arent near as nice (because the LED in the halos suck so you have to replace them with brighter ones) but they are actually not very expensive... about 200 for good ones. The downfall of aftermarket proj's are that you need a really bright bulb to push through the glass ball in the housing. That is why HIDs are the best. They are annoying only when they have HIDs in stock housing... the light is sent in every direction and you will absolutely get pulled over by a cop. Silverstars are the worst in proj's, in my opinion, because they burn so hot they will melt the housing. HIDs are less watts and cooler so they are the best. When you switch to projectors you will have to use h1 bulbs instead of your h4 silverstars or whatever they are. Getting HIDs are the best because they come with a powering ballast that control the power because normal h1 bulbs WILL not last in projectors. I spent 200 on bulbs until I went all out on HIDs that I have been using for a while now... To install the proj's you will have to take off the bumper to be safe and you should definetly buy cool driving lights instead of the yellow ones they come with. Superhids.com has em, ebay has alot (but be careful, if their add has too much crappy english, it isnt safe)... I got my proj's off ebay - $180- and they are great, the HIDs - $220 from a local shop in Portland, and had it all installed for $100. The parking lights are from like Checker Auto for $12

Everything is street legal except for the HIDs... they want stock everything but having them in projectors keeps them from sending ridiculous light everywhere. If it is dark enough to use headlights, they wont be able to see what car you have anyways... it is more of a "by the way, your headlights..." kinda thing

Old 06-29-2006, 05:46 PM
HCF Member

i got my halos headlights from e-bay, the halo dosent have to be on all the time..you can wire it so it only goes on with the parking lights, or you can wire it like me, and only have it on when you want to *good idea*, you can still see the halos when the lights are on because like on my headlights, the beam comes out of the projecter but the day time driving lights are off so my halo over that light you can see good..sometimes the l.e.ds crap out in the halos, if that happens i have a web site were you can fix them and put any kind of l.e.ds and color you want and it costs about $5 to fix, my lights that came with my halos are super bright and really white, im not sure what kind they are, one day ill have to take them out tho..i just love the look of projecters on cars, they look sweet

Old 06-29-2006, 06:03 PM
HCF Member

Mill$ I was looking at the place you got yours from on Ebay (found it in another post) and the price isn't bad, but damn almost $50 for shipping.. When you buy it like these, does it come with all the lights and everything you need to just throw them right in? Also, how hard is it to install them?

Old 06-29-2006, 06:17 PM
HCF Member

well..i got mine from a company called bomb effect, yes it did come with all the lights and such, the only thing i did when i got them was put some extra clear silicone around the seem so it dosent fog (havent had a problem), and they are SOOO easy to install...probably take you 30min to install them, then mabey 30 minits to do the wiring..if you send me a e-mail (says it in my profile) ill give you a big write up on how to wire up the lights so you have full controle,iv done it for a couple guys so i have it ready to go

oh ya, you dont have to get them from the same company, just shop around and find one with lower shipping, and before you buy just ask if light blubs are included

Old 07-03-2006, 10:10 AM
HCF Member

i bought my halos off of ebay from a company for around $150(i dont know which company but i can try to get back with it) and i dont have too much experiance working on cars in any way, but it only took me about an hour to install both. They work good and light up everything perfectly (quite a bit brighter than stock) and dont blind anybody coming toward me (says my friends that helped me test them) so yeah, for decent looks and good lighting go with the halos. As for the ebay part, just check the companies feedback ratings and such. Hope this helps

Old 07-03-2006, 01:43 PM
HCF Member

Dude I was with some college buddies and it took us hours to do it... we lifted it, took off the bumper... needless to say we were retarded and it shouldnt have taken so long... seriously though, if you get projectors you need HIDs... I dont know anyone else's luck on a 02-05 civic projectors but mine sucked until I got HIDs 6k are the best.. mine are the 8k and they are too blue.

Old 07-03-2006, 03:13 PM
HCF Member

where can I get some fairly inexpensive HIDs?? how much would the 6k kit cost me, and what do I need to know about installing them?