Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Tail Lights, License Plate Lights and Dash lights out

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 03:42 AM
HCF Member
Default Tail Lights, License Plate Lights and Dash lights out

Okay guys I am completely stumped on this, about 3 weeks ago my dash lights started to go out but the tail lights were still working and everything but when the dash lights would go out I would tap the top of the dash and they would come back on but now all 3 are out. I took a test light to the tail lights and license plate lights well in the sockets anyway and they are not getting any juice I even tried opening the wire itself and testing but still no juice to them. I have the entire under dash tore down and all fuses are good including under hood and ground wire in the trunk looks fine (If there are any I need to know about let me know) but I also read that it could be the dimmer switch but my headlights are fine. Any info would be great and btw its a 93 civic ex.

Old 09-21-2011, 04:50 AM
Recognized HCF Member

It could be the light switch on the column. Probe the test points on the tail light fuse, they should both be live with the light switch on. (The 10A fuse is after the switch here. The switch feeds from a 40A main fuse under the hood, which should be good since the headlights work.)

The main reason for ONLY the dash lights to work intermittently is the dimmer control. You may have two problems.

Last edited by mk378; 09-21-2011 at 04:53 AM.
Old 09-21-2011, 05:33 AM
HCF Member

Well the dash lights are out completely would the dimmer switch cause that? So what does that mean if there is no juice at the fuse? Would that be the Light Switch?

Old 09-21-2011, 07:45 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Yes it goes battery --> 40A fuse under hood --> light switch --> small fuses under dash for individual head and tail light circuits --> lights.

A faulty dimmer switch typically causes the dash lights to go out completely, or cut on and off between normal and completely out. Test it by bypassing -- pry the dimmer out of the dash, unplug it, and jumper between the solid red wire and the solid black wire in the plug. The dash lights should now come on full bright when the light switch is on. Of course the tail light circuit needs to be working first.

It's common to have someone install an aftermarket radio and short out the lighting wire behind the radio. This will blow the tail light fuse.