Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

No Tailights,License Plate Lights or Dash Lights

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 03:08 AM
HCF Member
Default No Tailights,License Plate Lights or Dash Lights

Hey guys im having some issues with this, it is a 93 civic ex 1.6l. As the title says im having this dumb issue lol. To start last week I ordered the dimmer switch and turn signal switch just for giggles and try replacing those and see if it works, well it didnt and everything is still out, Headlights are fine.

So I decided to probe the 40A fuse under the hood and it was getting juice just fine hence the headlights working but figured I would test anyway. Next thing I moved to the 10A under the dash, what do you know the fuse looks fine but when I probe it, it is not getting any juice, the top test point will occasionally jump to 0.1 but the bottom stays on 0.

If you guys could give me some help out on this that would be great, im guessing that the fuse keeps blowing but has no sign of being blown visibly, could someone also provide me some wiring diagrams for the 40A fuse up front all the way back to the tail lights?

Old 06-25-2013, 04:47 AM
Recognized HCF Member

The 40A fuse under the hood feeds the switch for both the headlights and the tail lights. After the switch it goes to smaller fuses under the dash. I'm assuming the headlights work, so you know the 40A fuse and the big white wire to the switch are OK.

At the switch the wire colors are:
white -- feed from underhood fuse box (always live through 40A fuse)
red-white -- low beam headlight circuit to dash fuses #21 and #22
red-blue -- high beam headlight circuit to dash fuses #9 and #10
red-green -- tail lights and dash light circuit to dash fuse #19

Thus, no voltage on either end of the 10A fuse #19 means that it isn't getting power from the light switch on the column through the red-green wire. Check at the switch if the red-green wire goes live at the first and second clicks of the switch. Then check the other end of the wire at the dash fuse box.

After the tail light / dash light fuse, the power leaves the fuse box on several red-black wires to the various lights. Also a red-blue wire to the left rear tail lights only.

Old 06-25-2013, 05:36 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by mk378
The 40A fuse under the hood feeds the switch for both the headlights and the tail lights. After the switch it goes to smaller fuses under the dash. I'm assuming the headlights work, so you know the 40A fuse and the big white wire to the switch are OK.

At the switch the wire colors are:
white -- feed from underhood fuse box (always live through 40A fuse)
red-white -- low beam headlight circuit to dash fuses #21 and #22
red-blue -- high beam headlight circuit to dash fuses #9 and #10
red-green -- tail lights and dash light circuit to dash fuse #19

Thus, no voltage on either end of the 10A fuse #19 means that it isn't getting power from the light switch on the column through the red-green wire. Check at the switch if the red-green wire goes live at the first and second clicks of the switch. Then check the other end of the wire at the dash fuse box.

After the tail light / dash light fuse, the power leaves the fuse box on several red-black wires to the various lights. Also a red-blue wire to the left rear tail lights only.
Thanks man I will try this and report back and let you know how it goes. Im thinking there may be a short somewhere also. But with the dash lights and everything being out makes me think that. But I will check all the wires and report back in a few days.

Old 11-13-2013, 05:29 PM
Default Same problems

Did you end up having any luck with checking out that 40A fuse under the hood?
I've encountered the same problem, with my 1994 Civic LX several times now. I've blown 4 10A fuses from "fuse #19" under the dash ("kick") and so I'm assuming there must be a short or something else somewhere, since ONLY the dash lights + tail lights go out (i.e. not headlights, low or high beams).

Before I go blow a bunch of money at the dealer to get it fixed, I'm trying to troubleshoot what else might be going on that keeps causing all the fuses to blow.

Old 11-13-2013, 05:42 PM
Default Similar forum conversation

It looks like over at https://www.hondacivicforum.com/foru...blowing-89088/ they've been having a similar discussion. They're suggesting checking the radio's wiring. Have any of you guys done that or had any luck there either?

Old 11-13-2013, 06:26 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Yes, shoddy installation of aftermarket radios is a common cause of shorts. If its not that the next step would be to inspect all the bulbs and sockets and the wiring you can see. Crash damage to the fenders can damage the insulation on the wires leading to the front corner lights.