Inside and Out Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

Buying Paint

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 05:43 PM
March 2010 ROTM
Default Buying Paint

Where is a good place to buy paint from? I cant find any sites that sell any name brand paint by the gallon. Im planning on painting my car here in the next few months and am doing the prep work and supplying paint myself . Any suggestions?

Old 09-20-2007, 05:46 PM
Default RE: Buying Paint

HOUSE PAINT!

Old 09-20-2007, 05:47 PM
HCF Member

i work in an automotive paintstore....if you live in NY ill hook you up!!!!

Old 09-21-2007, 01:34 AM
March 2010 ROTM

Im a little far away from New York....Im in Louisville Kentucky! But if you want to hook a man up with a gallon and ill pay shipping I wouldnt mind looking into that. Im still having no luck finding online sales though.

Old 09-21-2007, 10:12 AM
HCF Member

No local places at all? There has to be some body shop around you that you can go and ask.

Old 09-21-2007, 12:51 PM
March 2010 ROTM

Theres only 2 places around here that have any knowledge about painting. We have a thousand body work places who dont do paint though...The only one Ive went to ask questions at were a bunch of ******** about it. They wont paint a car they didnt prep and wouldnt talk to me about getting paintat all. And after all that they said they could give mea deal and do the job for $2400 since they couldnt help me out.

Old 09-21-2007, 01:08 PM
Recognized HCF Member

WOW 2400.... that beter be for everything..... full color change and all....

but thiers gotta be some local paint stores..... my dad said sherwin williams paint sells auto paint as well as house paint... sorry my spelling sucks.....LOL
ive never tried thier tho cause we got a good paint store downtown i go to for my paint.....

here... house of kolor is some WICKED PAINT.... but most of thier paints arent for beginers... TRUST ME.LOL learned hard way... and thier paints not cheap... BUT thier paint is sold at most GOOD paint shops... so what i would do is look them up... type in your state and find a paint shop closest to ya and go check them out...
http://www.houseofkolor.com/hok/cont...stributors.jsp
good luck

Old 09-21-2007, 06:34 PM
March 2010 ROTM

Thanks, are most of thier paint Kandy or something? I heard those were hard to work with. Ive never painted a car and plan on using this as my first experiment. Ive done small things and have worked with spray paint as a mural artist for a few years, so hopefully it wont turn out too bad. But im trying to see how much its going to cost to do it myself, this way I know if its worth risking a bad looking job to save some cash. Im doing a burnt orange...sunburst orange to be specific, its on the new cobalts, door jams and exterior only. Theres a Maaco about 60 miles away that said they could do a base/clear job for $1100. But I hear mixed views and have only seen one of thier jobs.

Old 09-21-2007, 06:38 PM
HCF Member

It's pretty normal that a shop won't paint a car they didn't prep, it's like 100% sure the car is going to be prepped like crap and that the paint job won't look good on it...

At the shop I work at, we use PPG and DUPONT

Old 09-21-2007, 09:10 PM
HCF Member

Do you have O'Reilly Auto Parts near you? I have mixed my own paint there ((buddy of mine works there and lets me do my own stuff. LOL)) and they have a killer setup. Really good quality stuff.

Quick Reply: Buying Paint