Inside and Out Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

Carbon fiber

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 07:34 PM
Default Carbon fiber

Anyone have any idea on what the best quality carbon fiber is, company wise? Seibon, Vis, etc? Im not building a show car, but i would like some carbon fiber parts in decent shape to where i feel my car is presentable :]

Old 07-01-2012, 08:36 PM
Banned

that depends what car you have because not all companies make specific parts for specific cars. but as far as quality goes its hard to say because carbon fiber parts are all hand laid using different procedures so no part is going to be identical to the next. VIS and seibon are well known of the two seibon has better slightly better fitment but they cost more. i personally own a VIS hood the fitment is ok. carbon creation has more issues with bubbles and fading. i would recommend VIS be sure to purchase it from VIS or a certified vendor make sure there certified through VIS.also only use synthetic wax on carbon fiber.

Last edited by EM2slow; 07-01-2012 at 08:40 PM.
Old 07-02-2012, 02:10 AM

Ohh ok well thanks man, but one more thing.. What about ebay? they sell all kinds of name brands, dont they? or are those items slightly flawed or what?

Old 07-02-2012, 04:46 AM
HCF Member

If you're going to buy name-brand carbon parts, dont go through ebay. More often then not, if you purchase stuff through ebay, the company won't stand by the warranty because the dealer isn't certified. So if you get a bum part and the ebay seller won't help you out (which they often dont) then the company won't give you any help either and you'll be screwed. All just to save a couple bucks, at most. Ebay's usually not much cheaper than the real dealers...

Old 07-02-2012, 05:11 AM

thanks a lot guys =) i think ill check out the actual sites.

Old 07-02-2012, 05:22 AM
HCF Member

Another thing is that most "carbon fiber" parts are really fiberglass with a thin layer of CF on it for looks. It's still lighter than steel, but the fitment usually isn't that great, either. True carbon fiber is much lighter (and much more expensive).

You'll also probably want to budget for some clearcoat on it, since the parts will fade and yellow over time.

Old 07-02-2012, 05:46 AM

one of my friends carbon fiber hoods has turned a little yellow. Thats one thing im looking into to try and help avoid the best i can. Any specific brand youd recommend?

Old 07-02-2012, 11:30 AM
Banned

that's exactly why i said not to use carnauba wax only synthetic because all wet carbon fiber hoods use a special clear called gel coat that allows the hood to flex carbon fiber hoods like to flex alot gel coat prevents the clear from cracking. but the gel coat is very porous and allows carnauba wax to melt into the pores turning the hood yellow over time. my hood is in mint condition for being 5 years old i wax it every week with Maguires tech 2.0 synthetic polymer wax.and yes most hoods including VIS and Seibon use a fiberglass skeleton underneath the hood if they didn't the hood would have no rigidity.

Last edited by EM2slow; 07-02-2012 at 11:40 AM.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:45 PM

Imma get some the week i order my hood. Thanks for all the help!

Old 07-02-2012, 03:51 PM
Banned

were are you ordering from ??? you can order through a different vendor for less money you just need to contac VIS or Seibon to make sure there a certified vendor.i order most of my parts from here including my progress coils which cost over a grand i trust them plus there certified and have free shipping.
CorSport

Last edited by EM2slow; 07-02-2012 at 03:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Carbon fiber