Inside and Out Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

cf shortage?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 01:54 AM
Question cf shortage?

Has anyone else had to wait 2 1/2 months for their non-eBay CF hood? I have a Seibon OEM hood on backorder and keep hearing the same response from my local shop about a shortage. There is some internet info to back this up but no news as to when supply will meet demand again. Apparently Boeing, Airbus and other big contractors are buying up all the wholesale CF. Thoughts?

Old 11-24-2008, 02:18 AM
Super Cereal Admin

Umm... this'll be the first time I've heard about it. Sounds like your shop is bulls**ting you.

Old 11-24-2008, 07:33 AM
HCF Member

you my friend have been served. Sorry to say it, but i bought some stuff online(non CF hood) and its gotten to me within a week soooooo ur outta luck bud, better read the disclaimer and try n get ur money back. While u still can if possible.

Old 11-24-2008, 08:04 AM

Thanks for the responses but let me clarify. I am looking for a CF hood that is not from eBay, i.e., a Siebon CF hood. Wondering if anyone else has experienced a delay or backorder situation. I found a disclaimer on a website that sells CF since I posted this a few hours ago:

"Urgent Carbon Fiber Product Notice: Currently there is a shortage of carbon fiber materials that are affecting stock of VIS, Seibon, TCS, AIT and Carbon Creations products due to military/aerospace demands for carbon fiber. Some of the items listed on our site are out of stock and we may contact you with alternate hoods availible if the requested item is out of stock. In the case of an out of stock item, we recommend purchasing any availible alternative while supplies last until the shortage relents."

This is from a website not affiliated with the store I go to. Just shakin' the trees, I guess. Peace.

Old 11-24-2008, 09:30 AM
HCF Member

o wow im a noob, didnt really read the thread closely enough. srry lol. well, there are a few options you have. Call them and ask them when the shortage would be over, email their support service if any, or just wait it out. there really isnt much to do because your order was placed and they shoild have it on file. I would advise you have your reciept with you at all times and call them with the account # or product# to see if they ****ed up or if there really is a shortage. i hope this helps

Old 11-24-2008, 10:43 AM
HCF Member

This shortage is true due the the heavy demands of larger manufactures like aerospace and such.

Old 11-24-2008, 10:58 AM

That makes sense. Since they're trying to make airplanes more fuel efficient right now, they are most likely using a lot more carbon fiber materials, especially inside the cabin, to make the plane lighter and in return use less fuel.

Old 11-24-2008, 12:59 PM
HCF Member

there is no such thing as an ebay brand CF hood. And you can buy seibon hoods or whatever brand on ebay.

Old 11-25-2008, 03:50 AM

I've been obsessing about this CF hood situation lately since I had planned on buying this thing months ago. Check this out, though: I emailed Seibon directly and guess what they said???

ME- "I have a Seibon CF Honda Civic hood on backorder through a distributor and was wondering when CF will be available again for the auto aftermarket industry. Is there any timeframe when material production is expected to meet demand? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!"

THEM- "Hi Tom what hood do you have on back order? We have all Civic hoods in stock at the moment. Please advise. Thank you."

ME- "Thank you for your prompt response! It's an OEM style hood for a '99 Honda Civic coupe. Hadn't there been a shortage? I've seen bits and pieces about a shortage this year on a few websites besides hearing that from my local shop."

THEM- "Sorry no but we have these fully in stock and we have about 50 pieces of these in stock. What company did you purchase this from? This item is never on back order. Its one of our best sellers. Thank you."

So, either the local guy's distributor is acting funny, or the local guy himself has been stringing me along to get more business out of me while my hood is on "backorder!" Funny thing is I did buy a nice HID kit and some other stuff from him on one of my *many* visits to this shop to check on the hood situation. ARGH! I want my deposit back, Beeyotch! (lol)

Old 11-25-2008, 05:58 AM
Super Cereal Admin

I was ready to say, VIS, Carbon Creations, Seibon, etc are all large companies with plenty of buying power, I can't really see them not being able to get the carbon fabric.

Also, I was under the impression a lot of newer planes already had a ton of carbon fiber.

But at any rate, I'm sensing a business opportunity... anybody know anything about making carbon fiber fabric?

Quick Reply: cf shortage?