Inside and Out Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

Clear Coat Cracking

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 05:42 PM
Default RE: Clear Coat Cracking

mine has it just get a carbon one. check the forums private sales for one but ebay has them pretty cheap. my freind just bought one off of ebay and it looks good.

Old 02-12-2006, 01:44 AM

I do paint and bodywork for a living. There are several products you can purchase which promise to erase the damage, but a repaint is the only solution to the problem. If your clear is checking, the chances are your vehicle has been repainted. I work on Hondas all day in a collision repair shop, and they have great factory finsihes. Checking, peeling, and fading, are all due to poor paint preparation most likely done after the factory. A color sand and buff may help under perfect circumstances, but most likely a repaint is what's needed. But good luck with the waxes and finshes, you might find one that makes you happy.

Old 02-12-2006, 01:52 AM

Sick....They do make different colored waxing agents for light and dark colored finishes. Swirl mark remover comes in two different varities for dakr and light colored finishes. They make light and dark, white and grey respectively.

Old 02-12-2006, 11:43 AM

Skooter... Do you know what a good brand of this is or where you can get it online?

Old 02-15-2006, 01:51 AM

Sick....3M makes the glaze. I'm not sure where you are from, but I know it is readily availabe at Finish Masters in Ca. If you are really ambisous, you can try wet sanding your panels with 1500 grit or so lightly. Making sure you sand in the same direction, staying away from all complex curves and edges. I recommend taping any curves, edges, body lines etc. with some masking tape so as not to burn through your clear. Using a buffer, begin with rubbing compound. 3M makes a great product called perfct it rubbing compound. Apply medium pressure along flat panels, being sure to lighten the pressure on all edges. After a uniform consistentcy is achieved, you can try using the light (for white colors) or dark finishing compound (for dark colors). This process will probably need to be repeated several times to produce the finish you are looking for. Mcguires or 3M (I cant remember which) makes a 3 step lineup for such a job which works great as well. Good luck Sick. Feel free to ask more questions if neeeded.