Inside and Out Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

Cold Cathode Installation

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 07:38 AM
Default Cold Cathode Installation

hey guys, I have been surfing through this sick website one of you recommended, oznium.com, and I became obsessed w/ the cold cathode neons and some prewired LED's for the cupholder and door pockets... I already have them in my cart and am about to purchase them but do not want to spend the money if it will be too difficult to install. People that have bought these items before continue saying that the installation was easy and fast but for me easy is plugging it into the cig lighter! lol... If there is anyone that can help me out with previous experiences and some installation tips I'd really appreciate it! I also have two questions that would like answered more then anything:

1. When I turn off my car will these cathodes stay on, since they work with a ground and positive wire?
2. If anyone has past experience, where can I connect the wire that gives it power?
- They say that you can tap into the cig lighter, Add a circuit, or ghetto rig it

I dont know if I am making myself clear, if you can just follow the links below (the first is the kits themselves and the second is the installation instructions), I would really appreciate any help from anyone that knows!! thx a lot, pz out...

http://www.oznium.com/cathode-kit

http://www.oznium.com/forum/topic11824

Old 09-30-2007, 08:19 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Cold Cathode Installation

1. Depending on how you install them, yes. If you wire them straight to your battery, yes, they'll always be on (NOT RECOMMENDED). If you wire them to your igntion, they'll only be on when your car is on. If you wire them to a switch, you can turn them on and off whenever you want (as long as the switch is wired to a fuse that gets power all the time, whcih leads me to #2.)

2. You can wire them into your fuse box. Find a fuse thats getting power (using a multimeter), then put the red wire around one fuse terminal (preferably after the fuse, therefore the circuit has a fuse in it now), then plug the fuse back in. Then with the black wire, use a self-tapping screw and find a piece of steel on the car, then self-tap the screw in with the black wire wrapped around it and it will be grounded.

Old 09-30-2007, 09:39 AM
March 2010 ROTM

Not to thread jack, but im about to do the same thing, but im using flexable LEDs. Can someone go into a little more detail on how to wire them to the ignition? I dont fully understand the fuse thing.

Old 10-01-2007, 08:23 AM
HCF Member

under the driver side dash, there is a fuse box, Using a multimeter/voltmeter, put the red probe into where one of the fuse terminals goes, then put hte black probe on steel until you find somewhere thast getting power. Find a fuse, wrap the red wire around one of the terminals then push that fuse in that slot hard (to make sure its snug and wont fall out). I'd put it on the side thats after the fuse, so if there is a power surge, the fuse blows and your cathodes are safe.