Inside and Out Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

Functional Hood Scoop

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 05:32 PM
Default Functional Hood Scoop

Has anybody cut a NACA or other style scoop into a hood to give these CIA's a real dose of fresh air? My dearly departed father, a GM engineer, explained NACA ducts to me when I was 13 years old so my memory is a little vague, I do remember that they did wind tunnel tests and at 30 miles an hour forced airflow becomes a functional performance enhancement. How sweet would a scoop look off the passenger side on the hood? I am thinking you would need some baffling or a spill lip and drainage tube for wet environments. Following this thought pattern if you could gear down or otherwise create low end punch a RAM air Civic might be possible ................... I await your thoughts

Old 02-19-2009, 06:12 PM

Personally, I still think a Civic has no business with a hood scoop, functional or not, for the rice factor. The Civic was meant to be a 4 banger econo box unless you build it then turbo or supercharge. The tiny gains you might see from a N/A engine with a hood scoop would not be worth the effort to design and implement such a mod. A Honda 4 cylinder engine is just too small.

They work great with big block V8s because the engine is huge and forcing air through one will give you noticeable results. Those results are not duplicated when you take half the engine away.

Old 02-19-2009, 06:28 PM

though it might help slightly, it won't be worth the negative attention you'll receive for it

Old 02-19-2009, 06:45 PM
HCF Member

nicely put together by the previous posts. not worth getting the negative attention for the little performance gain.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:36 PM
HCF Member

http://passwordjdm.com/PasswordJDM-D...P2786C310.aspx

This is the only ram air that would truely work for a civic, and Id rather have 2 headlights...

Also the hood scoop is meant more for air to rush by the Air intake which for a big old V8 is in the middle of the engine. So with a hood scoop it scoops the air towards the intake. Well our intakes are also alittle different aka the passwordjdm ram air schoop. I think you get the picture so I'm not going to write anymore.

Last edited by xsteinbachx; 02-19-2009 at 08:39 PM.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by xsteinbachx
http://passwordjdm.com/PasswordJDM-D...P2786C310.aspx

This is the only ram air that would truely work for a civic, and Id rather have 2 headlights...
definitely on the wrong side of the engine
lol

you'd have to either have turbo, a k-swap, or that engine Splat has in order for it to really help

EDIT: nvm, they sell both sides.
readingitemdescriptions>me

Last edited by trustdestruction; 02-19-2009 at 08:50 PM.
Old 02-20-2009, 06:12 AM
HCF Member

Your father had a cool job My cousin is an automotive engineer, and licensed mechanic, so he's had a few cool gigs with Toyota, GM, and now Bridgestone.

I think the benefit your father may have been referring to is the cooler air that is able to enter the system at a sufficient enough amount to result in better performance at that speed.

True ram air, is far fetched for a relatively slow moving car, any "boost" from pressurized incoming air won't be appreciable until you're nearing 200 mph. The idea of ram air was first used on fighter planes in the 40's/50's.

I can't recall exact numbers, but at 150 mph there's a ~2% increase in the air pressure, not much. At >300'ish, there's a pretty big ram air effect.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:36 AM
HCF Member

basically meaing the little 4 bangers dont consume enough air to the point that a hood scoop would make much of a difference in power or if any at all

Old 02-20-2009, 08:57 AM
Recognized HCF Member

defiantly please no hood scoop!

the most i would ever do is possibly buy some fog lights to cut the hole on the bumper like you would to mount the light and hook up some tubing that turns to the CAI area.

but really i would never do it because its just not worth it...
id as well like to have headlights and the fog lights for at night

Old 02-20-2009, 02:40 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by trustdestruction
definitely on the wrong side of the engine
lol

you'd have to either have turbo, a k-swap, or that engine Splat has in order for it to really help

EDIT: nvm, they sell both sides.
readingitemdescriptions>me
LOL, i was hoping no one would bring me up in this.
I have to side with eveyone on this, NO hood scoop, the civic has nice clean lines, dont mess them up.

Quick Reply: Functional Hood Scoop