Inside and Out Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

Gauging interest in new aerodynamic parts (SF east bay)

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 07:54 AM
Default Gauging interest in new aerodynamic parts (SF east bay)

Hi All,

My name is Roman and I'm the owner of Maxvelocity.net. We primarily make aero parts for BMW street and race cars. Recently we became interested in making both functional, fuel efficiency, and racing aerodynamics for the Honda Civic. We do not do anything radical in terms of styling. We believe in function first looks second. I wanted to find out if there was any interest out there for any of the for-mentioned? If we start making these parts, I would like to find a volunteer(s) for fitting and testing in the SF east bay. What price range for aero(front spoiler, splitter, rear wing) is comfortable for most Civic owners?

Thanks again,
Roman

Last edited by WellFedHobo; 01-06-2011 at 06:22 AM. Reason: added location to title to draw local interest
Old 01-05-2011, 08:40 AM
HCF Member

Roman, Welcome to the forum. I checked out your site. what are the parts made of? Secondly do you have any basic photo's? If you have any photo's to post to give us an idea of what you've got that'd be great. The two most common chassis are the EG and the EK. I recommend grabbing two of the cheapest ones you can get and start test fitting.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:45 AM

A lot of people here are really into clean, stock-looking parts. I suppose interest in aero parts will depend on what year ranges you offer parts for and how they really look. Basically, I'd say if it looks tacky like those Fast and Furious bolt-on wings, it would be a no-go.

That's just me, though. We have a few members from SF. Hopefully they'll see the thread.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:14 AM

project91, WellFedHobo, thank you very much for your input! We do not make tacky anchors that say "look at me". As you can see on our website, our lip spoilers(for example) are "simple" by design and are meant to enhance the look of the car instead of the car being a platform for a "work of art" being the add on. We opt for simple, clean designs that also serve some function. Even with the simplest front spoilers, we test for aerodynamic benefit. We do not have a wind tunnel but we use other means of live testing to get an idea of airflow around the area that has been altered by the splitter, spoiler, or airdam. Our Hardcore, EVO I and EVO II race splitters are renowned for function and have done very well in all BMW race classes and BMW club events. Our lip spoilers have stood up to much abuse without breaking or cracking.

I would like to start with making parts for the two past models of Civic. I still need to do research on the chassis and front/rear bumpers, under paneling, etc but before I commit to research I would like to find out if there is any interest in racing aero, street aero and aero to improve fuel efficiency. The parts will look similar (nothing crazy) to what we make for the BMW cars but designed for the Civic.

The factory that makes the material for us creates a blended ABS with flex agents and UV resistant compound. Even though our parts are primed and painted, the plastic doesn't become brittle therefore extending the service life of the part. When I first started Maxvelocity the first parts(Velocity Splitters) were made from fiberglass but we switched to plastic because it has a better tendency to survive impacts that come from sitting on the bottom of a car.

Thanks again and I hope more people will responding including potential models

Last edited by maxvelocity; 01-05-2011 at 09:19 AM.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:21 PM

In that case, I wish I didn't live 2000 miles away.

Old 01-05-2011, 01:49 PM
HCF Member

I like the look of your aero parts. They are functional without adding too much change to the look of the cars. I would love to see what you guys come up with for the civics. In my case I own a EK civic and have seen lots of these types around. That would be a great type to start on. I love trying to keep my car looking stock but nice but having the performance to wow people. Thats my two cents. Too bad I live out in the middle of Iowa.

Old 01-06-2011, 06:13 AM

Any volunteers? You keep what you test

Old 01-06-2011, 09:14 AM
HCF Member

I would but the whole Iowa thing is a bit of a stopper.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:05 AM
HCF Member

yea same here but I'm diagonally across the states from you in good ole Washington. That's unfortunate. I own an EF (not as common as the EG or EK but there's plenty out there) if you come up with a great lip I'd be game to buy one. I like how subtle your bmw's looked. Thats something I'd be looking for. have you thought about making any for the Acura Integra? Based on your prices for your other products It seems pretty reasonable to me.

Old 01-06-2011, 01:01 PM

I have not considered Acura but I'm going to try to make a mold that will have two parts on it instead of one so if I can get two parts to fit on the tool then price will be considerably less.

One person outside the forum contacted me about helping out but hopefully I can get one or two more people for testing.

Quick Reply: Gauging interest in new aerodynamic parts (SF east bay)